A newspaper grades Philly's TV news themes...in 1986

Samantha

I ran across this story from a July 1986 edition of the Camden Courier-Post, grading the news themes of Philly's TV stations. I figured someone here would eat it up...

———

CHANNEL 6: Maybe it's just coincidence that Philadelphia's top-rated newscast has the best theme song. The music heralding the start of an "Action News" broadcast is far and away the tops in town. The brassy, upbeat tune has everything "Action News" tries to sell in its presentation movement and urgency as well as a sense of excitement and fun. It is also extremely hummable. GRADE: A

CHANNEL 10: Carried by a catchy 10-note "riff", the station's news theme is modern in its instrumentation, and [even though it's] not as memorable as the "Action News" theme, it still sticks in the mind after a few listens. GRADE: B

CHANNEL 3: The "Eyewitness News" theme opens with an orgy of electronic effects, but the music that follows is bland at best. It's significant that this same music is used by a furniture store chain in its radio commercials in the New York market. GRADE: C [Note: I think the music described is the Newscenter production track from NM. That would explain the description of the theme and its use in furniture commercials]

CHANNEL 29: The "Ten O'Clock News" theme is, as LaMay wanted, "classy" and "symphonic." It also goes nowhere at all nor contains any memorable musical pattern. The theme does compliment the accompanying graphics nicely, however it's doubtful you'll ever whistle this one while you work. GRADE: C-

CHANNEL 29: The "Ten O'Clock News" theme is, as LaMay wanted, "classy" and "symphonic." It also goes nowhere at all nor contains any memorable musical pattern. The theme does compliment the accompanying graphics nicely, however it's doubtful you'll ever whistle this one while you work. GRADE: C-

Do they mean Roger LaMay? Didn't know he was working there that early (side note: he's currently general manager of WXPN, the U of P radio station- which acquired our local college radio station a while back).

Do they mean Roger LaMay? Didn't know he was working there that early (side note: he's currently general manager of WXPN, the U of P radio station- which acquired our local college radio station a while back).

Yes!

LaMay was brought in when the news department started, so he was there for a lonnnnnng time - almost 15 years I think? Shows how successful 29's news was from the start.

As for that ratings roundup... I agree with all of them except 29's. I DO hum that one at work sometimes! It's an underrated classic, I think. I think part of that is because it went with 29's

Archived