New set for WOAY.

news89

It always looked like they used a conference room for their set. Yeah, I get that Beckley isn't exactly Chicago, but I'd expect a bit more out of an ABC affiliate, not a set that resembled something from a public access network.

Very true I haven't watched WOAY in a very long time just YouTube videos.

Very true I haven't watched WOAY in a very long time just YouTube videos.

I was in Beckley back at the end of February for a family function and some severe weather rolled through. I'll give WOAY credit for actually staying on and pre-empting The View. WVNS broke in to TPIR for a moment, WVVA mainly ran a crawl during whatever their 11am show is, but WOAY stuck through the entire storm.

Yeah, that's it alright. Here are some views of it from the past...

[GALLERY=media, 1030]WOAY set, 1987 by Raymie posted Sep 20, 2017 at 12:34 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1029]WOAY set, 1994 by Raymie posted Sep 20, 2017 at 12:34 PM[/GALLERY]

The set would be no older than 1977 if that was indeed the case...

The station burned to the ground back then and was relocated to an arena owned by the Thomas family, where it remains to this day.

Here is a webpage, which contains an article on how WOAY rebuilt their facilities and got back on the air in only 10 days!

http://jeff560.tripod.com/woay.html

The station burned to the ground back then and was relocated to an arena owned by the Thomas family, where it remains to this day.

Here is a webpage, which contains an article on how WOAY rebuilt their facilities and got back on the air in only 10 days!

The building they relocated to was right next door. And there's a very small part of the old building left!

[MEDIA=flickr]25283699335[/MEDIA]

Notice the little ledge that sticks out just below and to the left of the "WOAY" sign on the building? And the small set of stairs next to it? That's still there, right next to their current facility.

I totally forgot about the 1977 fire.

• 5 weeks later...
To bump this up some WOAY has video on their Facebook page about new set coming soon.

Their building looks small to house anything, let alone a news department. Also, it looks like the set will be much improved! At least for a market that small.

Their building looks small to house anything, let alone a news department. Also, it looks like the set will be much improved! At least for a market that small.

They actually seem to have demolished a large portion of the building. If you look at the aerial footage in that video and compare it to Google Streetview, there's a whole area left of the front door that's gone. Judging by the small trees growing on the roof I'd imagine that portion of the building wasn't seeing much use anyways...

TV doesn't take up a lot of space anymore... You can fit two playback servers with 4 channels each in the amount of rack space two VTR units took up 20 years ago. A handful of reporters and salespeople don't take up a lot of room, either.

They walk around the building a bit in this video from last year:

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this thread up. WOAY just debuted the set, graphics for this market size it's a major upgrade front the the late 70s set and ok graphics. No word on music, I hope they drop Pinnacle by SAM.

Edit: Per website new music was added.

http://www.woay.tv/weve-remodeled-check-it-out-at-500-600-and-1100-pm/

Archived