WTAE-TV Pittsburgh broadcasing from newsroom ....

susquvalleywgal

Could 'TAE be the first station in Pittsburgh to broadcast in HD?

It's gonna be close between 11 and 4; 11 is set to start broadcasting from their new facility in September, and I heard from a good source back in June that 4 would be the next H-A station to go HD...

The Pittsburgh stations have some really bad sets.

Damn straight. Maybe WTAE, and WPXI when it opens its new building, will start to turn that trend around.

You mean WPXI is getting a new set? I'm so used to that same set they've been using since 1992! How will I ever survive a set change... ::)

And KDKA! Why, they've been using the same set (in one way or another) since the mid 90s! And good 'ol WTAE has been using their set since... what? 1998?

Yeah, Pittsburgh's a real beacon of excellence in television news... ::)

Looks like we'll see WTAE's new set this fall...

From the PPG...

Come Labor Day, viewers will be engaged in some rubbernecking to see the new looks of two Pittsburgh TV stations. WPXI has long been planning to move its news operation into its new Summer Hill facility and debut its new studio after the Labor Day Telethon. Now WTAE intends to unveil a new set around the same time.

On Monday, WTAE's newscasts began originating from the Channel 4 newsroom, and they'll continue to be broadcast from that location for the next month as a new set is built in the studio for the coming age of digital television, with more viewers watching in high definition.

"The new set is a key move as we begin to transition to HD news," said WTAE news director Bob Longo. "We're planning to unveil the new set immediately following Labor Day."

So far, no Pittsburgh stations have announced that they'll broadcast newscasts in HD -- and none of the stations are willing to discuss when that might happen -- but with WPXI and WTAE constructing new sets, odds are it will happen before the February 2009 conversion to digital.

(Rob Owen, Post-Gazette TV editor)

I'm anxious to see the new looks; maybe they'll look decent! One can only hope...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On the noon news today, it seemed like the picture was alot clearer. Could TAE have begun broadcasting in HD?

Probably not. An article in the PG says that they haven't set a date yet for news in HD.

Coincidentally, our friend in Boston have found the new set familiar:

20070831wtae4_500.jpg

Well, WTAE debuted their new set today. I'd say the set is... ok. The reporter-stand up area has too many plasmas in my opinion. Even though there are only 5, it's just a bit busy for me. The actual news desk looks really nice and there are some cool little things like a plasma that comes out from behind the set.

The only thing I would do is brighten up the weather center; it seems to dull and solemn. But overall, the set looks nice, but their news product is still lagging. It could use a little help, but the set is nice. The first one in Pittsburgh since the mid-90s!

The only fanfare WTAE had was a small segment where Wendy Bell went "behind the scenes" to preview the set. She just runs around the set pointing out all the big TVs and the weather center. Take a look at

Here are a couple pictures from today...

Image9.jpg

Image7.jpg

Image5.jpg

Image8.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Image10.jpg

Archived