My Opinion: Action News

Jake

It's the big dog on the block, the 900 pound gorilla, but does Action News still deserve to be on top, or is it simply inertia? My answer, they mostly deserve it. Anything has room for improvement and AN has got more tabloidy, but that's what the audience wants. Most of what made AN a success is still there in one form or another. They finally gave in and updated the graphics a few years ago, but it's just newer versions of the same look. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

AM: I think this is their weakest spot. Just not as lively as the other stations in the AM, and you need a little of that in the morning. Matt O'Donnell is competent, but bland. Same with Tamela Edwards. Karen Rogers is always going to come off as the former minor beauty queen she is, no matter where they put her. The one bright spot is Dave Murphy, who is just awesome. He deserves a bigger profile, rather than having Adam Joseph all over the place.

Noon: Like it. I love Sarah Bloomquist. Little sister bubbly, but can turn serious on a dime. What can I say about Rick Williams? The guy is all pro and the heir apparent when JG finally keels over. Again you've got Dave Murphy. Wouldn't change a thing.

5PM: Okay, Rick's a great start, but too much of Monica's personal life has spilled to take her seriously. It's one thing for a youngish Alycia Lane's personal life to be a mess, Monica is old enough to know better, even if she tries to act like she's not. I like Cicely Tynan, but she's just too plastic to feel warm and fuzzy about her. Face is too tight, delivery is too tight. She's her best in those Zoo segments, when she's forced into a real enviroment.

6PM: I've heard alot of Jim Garner haters in the past week and I still don't get it. Maybe he is a pr*ck in real life, but I don't see it on the air and he keeps his private life private. He's smooth, he's easy, he's still got it, though he needs a damned haircut. Gary Papa is the best sports guy in town, hands down. The guy knows what he's talking about and doesn't showboat on the air. Gets in, does his thing, gets out. Dave Roberts, come on the guy is Angel's father and an institution. I would still take him over Cicely. I defy anyone not to like him. So what if he's not all sciency like the guys on the other stations, at the end of the day they're still just reading computer models.

11pm: Rinse and repeat.

Weekends: I like Walter Perez, cause he always seems slightly clueless. Reminds me of Dieter Baeder from The Drew Carey Show. And I'm not sure why, but Jessica Borg is compelling to watch. She's not conventionally pretty, she seems to crack up alot, but I'll admit it, I have been assimilated. Erica Grow is okay for a beginner, but that confidence needs to improve. She may have jumped to a big market too soon.

Reporters: Experience, experience, experience. Action News seems to be the closest thing as a guarenteed job for life that still exists in this country. John Rawlings still has it, so do David Henry and Denise James. Sorry, but Vernon Odem comes off as a blowhard and Dann Cuellar needs some Ritalin. it might be time for Cathy Gandolfo and Nora Muchanic to retire. The newbies aren't bad, Chad Pradelli is decent and Erin O'Hearn is clearly a future star.

Fill-in anchors: Action News seems to use them more than Eyewitness News. It seems over at EN Larry Mendte won't give up the screen time, so he's just everywhere. Again, Erin O'Hearn is obviously being groomed, if they don't lose her to a news network. Anita Brickman is good, but doesn't get enough screentime. One of the problems with An is that their bench is TOO deep. But then, am I the only one who thinks Adam Joseph looks and acts like a monkey? Keith Russell is passable, but Jaime Apody tries too hard.

I don't disagree, but who do they bump? That's what I meant when I said they have such a deep bench of talent. I think if they were going to dump Monica Malpass they would have already.

I think they should put her with Jim Gardner @ 6pm. I know I know it states in his contract he is to anchor the newscasts solo but so what. Lisa Thomas Laury is back, AND LOOKS GREAT, and she needs to be anchoring not substituting for anchors when they have the evening off.

I think they should put her with Jim Gardner @ 6pm. I know I know it states in his contract he is to anchor the newscasts solo but so what. Lisa Thomas Laury is back, AND LOOKS GREAT, and she needs to be anchoring not substituting for anchors when they have the evening off.

I don't watch Action News at all. Don't like it really. The mornings I catch a little because at 7 Good Morning AMerica is on. I think Matt is ok but Tamala (sp) is just blah.

I would however watch if Lisa Thomas Laury was back. I think they would see their ratings go back up to spots they use to be. Yes they are still number one but they have lost viewers - probably more of the younger crowd.

It's the big dog on the block, the 900 pound gorilla, but does Action News still deserve to be on top, or is it simply inertia? My answer, they mostly deserve it. Anything has room for improvement and AN has got more tabloidy, but that's what the audience wants. Most of what made AN a success is still there in one form or another. They finally gave in and updated the graphics a few years ago, but it's just newer versions of the same look. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

AM: I think this is their weakest spot. Just not as lively as the other stations in the AM, and you need a little of that in the morning. Matt O'Donnell is competent, but bland. Same with Tamela Edwards. Karen Rogers is always going to come off as the former minor beauty queen she is, no matter where they put her. The one bright spot is Dave Murphy, who is just awesome. He deserves a bigger profile, rather than having Adam Joseph all over the place.

Noon: Like it. I love Sarah Bloomquist. Little sister bubbly, but can turn serious on a dime. What can I say about Rick Williams? The guy is all pro and the heir apparent when JG finally keels over. Again you've got Dave Murphy. Wouldn't change a thing.

5PM: Okay, Rick's a great start, but too much of Monica's personal life has spilled to take her seriously. It's one thing for a youngish Alycia Lane's personal life to be a mess, Monica is old enough to know better, even if she tries to act like she's not. I like Cicely Tynan, but she's just too plastic to feel warm and fuzzy about her. Face is too tight, delivery is too tight. She's her best in those Zoo segments, when she's forced into a real enviroment.

6PM: I've heard alot of Jim Garner haters in the past week and I still don't get it. Maybe he is a pr*ck in real life, but I don't see it on the air and he keeps his private life private. He's smooth, he's easy, he's still got it, though he needs a damned haircut. Gary Papa is the best sports guy in town, hands down. The guy knows what he's talking about and doesn't showboat on the air. Gets in, does his thing, gets out. Dave Roberts, come on the guy is Angel's father and an institution. I would still take him over Cicely. I defy anyone not to like him. So what if he's not all sciency like the guys on the other stations, at the end of the day they're still just reading computer models.

Weekends: I like Walter Perez, cause he always seems slightly clueless. Reminds me of Dieter Baeder from The Drew Carey Show. And I'm not sure why, but Jessica Borg is compelling to watch. She's not conventionally pretty, she seems to crack up alot, but I'll admit it, I have been assimilated. Erica Grow is okay for a beginner, but that confidence needs to improve. She may have jumped to a big market too soon.

Reporters: Experience, experience, experience. Action News seems to be the closest thing as a guarenteed job for life that still exists in this country. John Rawlings still has it, so do David Henry and Denise James. Sorry, but Vernon Odem comes off as a blowhard and Dann Cuellar needs some Ritalin. it might be time for Cathy Gandolfo and Nora Muchanic to retire. The newbies aren't bad, Chad Pradelli is decent and Erin O'Hearn is clearly a future star.

Fill-in anchors: Action News seems to use them more than Eyewitness News. It seems over at EN Larry Mendte won't give up the screen time, so he's just everywhere. Again, Erin O'Hearn is obviously being groomed, if they don't lose her to a news network. Anita Brickman is good, but doesn't get enough screentime. One of the problems with An is that their bench is TOO deep. But then, am I the only one who thinks Adam Joseph looks and acts like a monkey? Keith Russell is passable, but Jaime Apody tries too hard.

1. Yes, you are the only one that thinks Adam Joseph looks and acts like a monkey, you idiot. He's hot, according to most women (and quite a lot of men).

2. It's okay for Jim Gardner to be a "pr*ck" in real life, but somehow Monica Malpass' relationship issues cause you to not enjoy her as an anchor? Dude, are you for real?

3. Jessica Borg is a nightmare. I won't discuss her appearance, but her performance last weekend was a disgrace. She threw it to commercial then did a read, then admitted she threw it to commercial too soon. She referred to Dave Murphy as Erin. She stumbles her way through every sentence. This happens all the time, and she is not in any way anchor material.

4. When they first put the current weekday a.m. team together, it was a nightmare. Murphy and O'Donnell almost came to blows while the camera was still rolling. Tamala Edwards had to sit between them like an elementary school teacher to try and keep them from taking a swing at one another. Literally. Speaking of Edwards, she does not open her mouth when she speaks. She is half-asleep on the a.m. program, and while she's clearly qualified, she's mailing it in. WTF does it mean that Karen Rogers comes off as a former minor beauty queen? Would you prefer she come off as a former rodeo clown?

4. Maybe you want to expand on your intelligent comment that Gandolfo and Muchanic should retire, but Henry and Rawlins should stay. *Please note that the words "intelligent comment" were used with the highest amount of sarcasm imaginable.*

I have work to do but I'll just say this. To me and a great deal of friends, Action News is a joke, not a 900 lb. gorilla. Jim Gardner is a charicature of himself. Dave Roberts spends way too much time in conversation with Mr. Six. I could go on, but I won't. The only explanation for the fact that WPVI holds the lead is that uneducated people, stuck in a time warp and afraid to venture into new areas for quality news programming, continue to watch. You, "Jake," fit that profile to a t. And, for the love of god, her name is CECILY, not CICELY.

1. Yes, you are the only one that thinks Adam Joseph looks and acts like a monkey, you idiot. He's hot, according to most women (and quite a lot of men).

2. It's okay for Jim Gardner to be a "pr*ck" in real life, but somehow Monica Malpass' relationship issues cause you to not enjoy her as an anchor? Dude, are you for real?

3. Jessica Borg is a nightmare. I won't discuss her appearance, but her performance last weekend was a disgrace. She threw it to commercial then did a read, then admitted she threw it to commercial too soon. She referred to Dave Murphy as Erin. She stumbles her way through every sentence. This happens all the time, and she is not in any way anchor material.

4. When they first put the current weekday a.m. team together, it was a nightmare. Murphy and O'Donnell almost came to blows while the camera was still rolling. Tamala Edwards had to sit between them like an elementary school teacher to try and keep them from taking a swing at one another. Literally. Speaking of Edwards, she does not open her mouth when she speaks. She is half-asleep on the a.m. program, and while she's clearly qualified, she's mailing it in. WTF does it mean that Karen Rogers comes off as a former minor beauty queen? Would you prefer she come off as a former rodeo clown?

4. Maybe you want to expand on your intelligent comment that Gandolfo and Muchanic should retire, but Henry and Rawlins should stay. *Please note that the words "intelligent comment" were used with the highest amount of sarcasm imaginable.*

I have work to do but I'll just say this. To me and a great deal of friends, Action News is a joke, not a 900 lb. gorilla. Jim Gardner is a charicature of himself. Dave Roberts spends way too much time in conversation with Mr. Six. I could go on, but I won't. The only explanation for the fact that WPVI holds the lead is that uneducated people, stuck in a time warp and afraid to venture into new areas for quality news programming, continue to watch. You, "Jake," fit that profile to a t. And, for the love of god, her name is CECILY, not CICELY.

AMEN!

Incidentally, you wouldn't happen to have video of the Murphy-O' Donnell hissy fit would you?

Speaking of pr*cks, thanks for the personal attacks, watsgood!

1. Hey, it's only my opinion on Adam Joseph, and if he's going to get bumped up to New York, as is the rumor, then I guess I am in the minority.

2. My point was that he might be anyway in his personal life, but he keeps it out of the press, so who would know? Monica can be as much of a whack job as she wants, but keep it private.

3. I've personally never liked Cathy Gandolfo. I've always found her grating. And again it's an OPINION. What are you, her son (or daughter)?

4. Since Action News had higher ratings than the next two stations combined in the last book I guess you're opinion that it is a joke is just about as valid as you think mine is. What exactly do you think is quality news programming locally? I still think the local news Emmys would be very different if 6ABC allowed their people to participate.

Obviously you're a little person since you couldn't repond without personal attacks, but I decided to respond to your post anyway. Who knew Action News would get such a passionate response.

4. Since Action News had higher ratings than the next two stations combined in the last book I guess you're opinion that it is a joke is just about as valid as you think mine is. What exactly do you think is quality news programming locally? I still think the local news Emmys would be very different if 6ABC allowed their people to participate.

Not really. First off 6 has been trying fight off 3 and 10 for quite a few years now only leading by no more than 3 points.

And about the Emmys, it seems that 3 only produces newscasts as a way to get Emmys. if you read the nominations, most of their nominees are for feature and human interest stories. That being said I don't think any of the other stations have a chance since 3 stuffs their newscast with more filler than a preteen girl stuffs her bra with toilet paper going out on her first date and apparently that's what gets the Academy to look at you. It reminds me of that episode of The Drew Carey Show when the main cast was trying various ways of winning an Emmy only difference is there, they lost.

Who knew Action News would get such a passionate response.

I find it very disturbing that some of you 12 year olds here shit your pants and start crying as soon as someone starts bad mouthing 3 and or 6, but then I find some of you 12 year olds just plain disturbing. But yeah these stations aren't the infallible (look it up if you don't know what it means) gods you make them out to be especially the station that occupies that round building on the Philly side of City Line Av.

Speaking of pr*cks, thanks for the personal attacks, watsgood!

Dude.

"Pricks." Funny thing is, I was no more offensive than you typing "pr*cks."

Crap is still shit when the intent is there. Just say "pricks" and stop thinking you're being less offensive by typing Shift-8 instead of i.

Hell, no one's even offended by it!

Obviously you're a little person since you couldn't repond without personal attacks, but I decided to respond to your post anyway. Who knew Action News would get such a passionate response.

Irony's a b*tch.

Prick. Prick. Prick. I just wasn't sure if there was a profanity filter here. I don't mind being offensive. :o

Did a quick search, but could not find the most recent ratings for the local news, but I remember reading them and CBS3 and NBC10 were not even close to 6ABC.

Prick. Prick. Prick. I just wasn't sure if there was a profanity filter here. I don't mind being offensive. :o

Did a quick search, but could not find the most recent ratings for the local news, but I remember reading them and CBS3 and NBC10 were not even close to 6ABC.

http://www.bradyresidence.com/051507.html

The only time period you could fairly say that 3 and 10 "[are] not even close" to 6 is at 6PM.

Otherwise, it's not hands down like you say.

I'm just curious about something. You started this thread as your opinion of WPVI. It quickly turned into your campaigning for the station and an almost unnatural obsession with talking about their standing in the ratings. So people are drinking the kool-aid. Who cares? They're probably watching on their 13" b&w sets.

I don't even watch Action News! I watch CBS3 most of the time. After frequently sampling the four major news stations in Philly I honestly think that when it comes to actual "news," not the puff pieces or human interest stories, the stations are all the same. It's the same facts, they are probably next to each other doing their live shots. The only difference comes down to personalities and graphics.

I must have just seen the 6pm rating. Thanks for the info.

Archived