KSTP IMPLODES!

showdown

KSTP - ABC in Minneapolis/St. Paul has become a joke!

Is it me, or do the people there finally realize that News Director - Chris Berg has no idea what he is doing???

The station has been in decline for about 4-years now, and is in dire need of a total makeover. Everything from management to set appeal, to getting better anchors in the chair, and how about a newsroom that doesn't like something out of the 1950's with its dungeon like feel.

A bridge crumbled into a river.

A coal mine collapsed in on its workers.

And you thought "KSTP IMPLODES!(!11one!111!zomgwtfbbq)" was an appropriate headline for a doubly meaningless post?

Points for being the apparent authority on when something becomes a joke, as you have so ordered for KSTP.

Next!

Flaming this person on this board due to what the subject heading says is pointless.

Actually I think they bring up a very good point.

I feel sorry for those who lost their lives in the Twin Cities. It was a sad event and I'm sure the rest of the nation is starting to pay attention to the lack of funding for our nation's highways.

But, if a MAJOR news event happened, and the ABC News HQ goes to your station for live coverage, do you want a station that has ugly graphics for a major city? No. You want that station to be on the top of their game with visuals and set and graphics. It just makes sense. That '5' logo has to be the most UGLY 5 ever on TV. Straight out of the 70's. For sure.

-- matt

Flaming this person on this board due to what the subject heading says is pointless.

Actually I think they bring up a very good point.

We disagree, but that's all right. I'm glad for the fact that you brought the substance to this thread that the OP failed to.

And I'm not flaming: Flaming would be berating the OP just because he holds a certain opinion. I rightly pointed out that his subject is in miserable taste considering very recent events and that he offers nothing substantive to prop up his opinion.

I feel sorry for those who lost their lives in the Twin Cities. It was a sad event and I'm sure the rest of the nation is starting to pay attention to the lack of funding for our nation's highways.

But, if a MAJOR news event happened, and the ABC News HQ goes to your station for live coverage, do you want a station that has ugly graphics for a major city? No. You want that station to be on the top of their game with visuals and set and graphics. It just makes sense. That '5' logo has to be the most UGLY 5 ever on TV. Straight out of the 70's. For sure.

-- matt

I strongly, strongly disagree with that. I could care less about the graphics if the people offering me the information are truly talented and carry a legitimate gravitas. Graphics mean absolutely nothing if the local news team can take on the challenge of being picked up by the net and captivate the viewers just as well as the boys and girls at the network.

If you're relying on graphics -- while we may like 'em -- to make your newscast better, you're trying to compensate for something, yes?

Now, the OP said something about replacing the anchors? If something more had been offered to that regard, this thread could actually be something.

-- matt

What on God's green earth does graphics and sets has to do with live coverage for a network feed?

Not a darn thing.

The things some people say... ::)

-- matt

1. 5's graphics are fine

2. When a network patches into a station's signal for breaking news, viewers aren't sitting in front of the TV screen saying "I wonder if my relatives are OK, and BTW, they really need to work on their L3's. Plus, their OTS boxes are from 2 graphics upgrades ago..."

3. The "5" logo is part of STP's heritage and station history. It is a mainstay in Twin Cities TV.

Just wanted to say that I enjoy reading the replies to my comments. Even though most don't agree, and that's fine, it's all of our opinions.

-- Matt

YOU'RE WELCOME. :)

Just wanted to say that I enjoy reading the replies to my comments. Even though most don't agree, and that's fine, it's all of our opinions.

-- Matt

Thank you for not throwing a hissy fit. :)

Would the OP mind expanding on the points made in the post? What management problems are there?

-- Matt

Thank you for not throwing a hissy fit. :)

Would the OP mind expanding on the points made in the post? What management problems are there?

One can visit the TVSpy.com message board for regular complaints over the ongoing saga that is KSTP. It turns up frequently between the gossip over Palm Springs and the whining over Ann Curry.

In a nutshell, KSTP was once the number one station in the Twin Cities, but started to lose their way in the mid '80s due to WCCO and a surging WTCN/KARE. Now the station sometimes trails fourth behind KMSP. They've tried almost every trick in the book (hard news, soft news, consumer news, bringing back anchors who've been off the air for nearly a decade, etc.)

That said, some 'reviewers' (even at the TVSpy board) gave props to KSTP's coverage of the bridge tragedy.

KSTP's bridge coverage was good in the beginning. They had all of the necessary information faster than some of the other stations. (but they are one of the closest to the bridge.) Then they stayed on air all night and through the next day. (The other stations went off around midnight, had the morning shows and then cut in every time there was something new to report or an important news conference.) The problem was that KSTP more or less repeated itself all night. There wasn't any need to stay on the air, because there wasn't any new information. In my opinion, there would be three reasons to stay on all night: to inform people that the bridge had collasped (I think everyone in the country, let alone the twin cities heard about it before midnight,) to keep people safe (but there wasn't any danger to people who weren't already on the bridge,) and to give new information, (but after a certain point, there just wasn't anything new to learn). I think that KSTP might have just stayed on the air so they could say they did. It goes with their "more news" salogan. A day or two later, I saw commercials about their coverage, as they do everytime there's a big story.

To Sam Horn,

Sorry if I offended with the use of the word "implodes" with regards to KSTP, that was not my intent.

But merely bring up the point that as a station, it used to be a powerhouse and now looks like an "Out House!" That's all.

They need fresh talent, that's credible and real. And if that means bringing in people that are not from the Twin Cities (heaven forbid) then it needs to get done. Bottom line, News Director Chris Berg is in over his head. He has no clue how to run a newsroom, and furthermore, has no backing from management. It's sad really, KSTP used to be a great station, now it's just another number in the game of TV.

I can't believe he stayed there as long as he did. He was like a little Napoleon!~

Thanks goodness he's gone. Now they can work on turning that dump back to respectability! But they should also address the building it's a total embarassment to everyone. "... Hey check out our building,.. it's state of the art,... circa 1967!... "

But they should also address the building it's a total embarassment to everyone. "... Hey check out our building,.. it's state of the art,... circa 1967!... "

What's the difference on how the building looks? I've never seen KSTP's building in person, but none of the TV stations around me have spectacular (or modern) buildings and it hasn't hurt their ratings any.

KSTP's problems are related to their news department and that is what they should focus on.

Hey Green Bay,

Maybe a better work environment for everyone would benefit the station. You're right, there are a lot of dumps across the country, and everyone of those dumps needs to be cleaned up!

I'm tired of seeing TV stations look like a 3rd world country, enough already. Spend the damn money and clean it up and make it look respectable. Otherwise bite the bullet and build a new one already. When the building is 60-80-years old, it's time for a change!

Archived