Latest Stupid Idea from moi

jestbiteme

Here's the stupid idea du jour...

We have a lot of members who collect and trade news music. Most of those members take that music and listen to it on a daily basis, whether it be on our computers, on our phones or on our iPods.

Given the phenomenal success of the latter, I'm willing to venture that there are a lot of us out there the keep our files on our iPods. One thing has been missing, though, and I'm not talking about the Hometown News package. What's missing is album art.

Album art isn't all that important right now, but when Apple released the iPhone, they gave it's iPod mode something called Coverflow. If you've got an up-to-date version of iTunes, you have it, too. It's a great way to browse through all of your items, and pick the album or song you want with the flick of a wrist. But it's based on one crucial detail: your album has to have album art, or all you get is a thoudans or so grey musical notes when you flick through. Sure, there's a description, but it defeats the purpose.

With talk of new iPods and Coverflow and touchscreen interfaces for them, I thought it was time to propose an album art repository here at TVNT, if anyone's interested. We can set up a download block like we have for the widget, or maybe some sort of nested gallery. If there's more than one cover for the same package or disc, you can choose whose version you want to download.

We could propose a set of standards. If there are multiple iterations of a package, we can tag them differently- "ABC O&O," "ABC O&O NEW GEN 1" and "ABC O&O NEW GEN 2." Perhaps we can delineate generations with different color text, which would become a standard. (Original package would have white text, for example; generation II would have blue, III could have green.)

If you're interested, together we can decide what album art should consist of: logo? company name in text? What about the background?

What do you think?

Is this something you really want to do? Remember all the shit hitting the fan about Napster, and others. Copyrights and other challenges might be problematic as well. Last question, except for the album art, isn't something like Southern Media doing the same thing?

Matt, definitely not a stupid idea.

Glad I'm not alone.

And to ib-td, since all we're doing is making album art, then making it available to everyone, I don't think there's much to worry about in the legal department.

Archived