Here's a good one about the CBS...

Sam Horn

During the summer there's not much changing in TV News -- Spring and Fall are the big times for overhauls.

So there's not much to do except speculate.

So let's...

By now it's painfully obvious that "The CBS Evening News with Katie Couric" is probably not long for this world. They've already hit rock bottom and blamed the viewers themselves for the poor ratings, and the backbiting among the show's staff has already commenced with the various issues behind the scenes -- the plagiarism deal, Katie slapping a staffer, et cetera.

So...

1. How much longer do you think Katie will anchor the EN.

2. Who do you think might be in line to replace her?

3. Do you, like me, think Katie will be more successful reporting for/hosting 60 Minutes, anyway?

1. I think they may give her another year to work things out as a last-ditch effort to try and save what has been a failed experiment.

2. That's a tough one, I don't think they have any recognizable names in-house. Of course, Katie C. is a recognizable name and that's obviously not working out too well.

3. I can't see CBS paying her an outrageous amount of $$$ just to do 60 Minutes. They oughta plop her on The Early Show, where she can use her talents (mainly smiling and doing softball interviews) to the most and try to elevate that crapfest from third place.

I think the general consensus is that CBS shoulda went with Scheiffer, as they were doing quite well in his final months on the air.

1. No way does she make it another year. If fall numbers look as bad/worse than current, she'll be out of the chair by spring.

2. Anderson Cooper has always been on CBS' radar. His new deal with CNN allows him to continue reporting for 60 Minutes -- perhaps that could be expanded to the EN should CBS wave enough green at CNN.

3. I agree with that -- something similar to her time at NBC when she hosted Today and filed reports for Dateline.

Also agreed on Scheiffer...

2. Anderson Cooper has always been on CBS' radar. His new deal with CNN allows him to continue reporting for 60 Minutes -- perhaps that could be expanded to the EN should CBS wave enough green at CNN.

I really like AC 360°, he does an excellent job on that show--i could see him as a Evening News anchor; they could even make the newscast alot like his show on CNN; except cram it into a half hour.

I didn't knew that Katie slapped a staffer!

A) Maybe by November Sweeps.

B) Force Bob Schieffer back to the chair or Bill O:P In a serious one, Anderson Cooper too.

C) Yes. They should stick Katie to fluffy ball at Early Show and 60 Minutes.

1. Two years, perhaps. As long as it makes money--CBS won't be in too big of a hurry to overhaul the show again.

2. It isn't about name recognition, we're talking about the Evening News. John Roberts obviously thought he should have succeeded Rather (and probably should have) and was pissed so he bolted for CNN. Cooper would probably be an okay replacement--however, I think he loves reporting from the field and CBS execs may not want that from their main anchor--however, that may be the bolt the EN needs.

3. Couric, if booted from EN, should be let out of her contract to work for CNN/MSNBC on a morning show. That would bring lots [more] viewers to cable news in the mornings.

4. Shieffer was great for CBS, I don't see how Face the Nation isn't the top morning Sunday program.

(Also agreed on Couric going to the Early Show to bolster those ratings)...certainly wouldn't be the worse, or last, thing they would try.

Guest GForceTV

1. I'm guessing that after Christmastime, she'll be out.

2. They'll probably bring Bob Schieffer back.

3. If she's not doing well with just plain news, I doubt that 60 Minutes will want her on their team.

Archived