ED WHELAN GONE FROM KOIN

TexasTVNews

If your Portland news fans, here's something you ought to know.

Ed Whelan, 30-plus year veteran of KOIN News, is no longer with the station. Monday afternoon he was called into a meeting and told his contract would not be renewed. He was given the option of going home immediately, but Whelan went ahead and finished the 6 pm and 11 pm newscasts, packed up 30 years of stuff into a box, and went home. He hasn't been back.

No one in the KOIN basement knows what happened to him--yeah, they didn't tell the staff, and I'm betting this is the first that some folks at 6 have heard about it. Word is that management has been telling people Whelan was "sick," which wasn't implausible considering his general health situation.

I'm told "the back hallways" will miss Ed, who had a reputation for being a pain in the butt but a hard worker who knew how to write to his video. "Sonny" also made a mean annual Thanksgiving dinner for the troops, which is probably why they'll miss him most of all if I know my TV people. :(

Here's what I'm wondering--well, two things. First: Why now, in the middle of a sale? Why not wait for New Vision? Makes me curious whose call this is. And second: Exactly how long is it going to take Whelan to file suit?

PLEASE CITE SOURCES

-TVNT GUEST SERVICES AND ANTI-PLAGIARIZING PATROL

You make it sound like a national disaster. ::)

Ahh but its not him that is making it sound like a natural disaster, its Lynn S. of Oregon Media Insiders. We have to give credit to the rightful author, and pin this whole overrated story on her. ::)

Submitted by LynnS on Wed, 08/22/2007 - 5:25pm.

Ed Whelan, 30-plus year veteran of KOIN News, is no longer with the station. Monday afternoon he was called into a meeting and told his contract would not be renewed. He was given the option of going home immediately, but Whelan went ahead and finished the 6 pm and 11 pm newscasts, packed up 30 years of stuff into a box, and went home. He hasn't been back.

No one in the KOIN basement knows what happened to him--yeah, they didn't tell the staff, and I'm betting this is the first that some folks at 6 have heard about it. Word is that management has been telling people Whelan was "sick," which wasn't implausible considering his general health situation.

I'm told "the back hallways" will miss Ed, who had a reputation for being a pain in the butt but a hard worker who knew how to write to his video. "Sonny" also made a mean annual Thanksgiving dinner for the troops, which is probably why they'll miss him most of all if I know my TV people. :(

Here's what I'm wondering--well, two things. First: Why now, in the middle of a sale? Why not wait for New Vision? Makes me curious whose call this is. And second: Exactly how long is it going to take Whelan to file suit?

[Edited to correct the spelling of "Whelan." I'm sorry, Ed! I wasn't trying to add insult to injury, I just rushed this up as fast as I could type without checking.--L]

courtesy of: http://www.oregonmediainsiders.com/node/1311

It's not right. He's taking someone's words and essentially pretending that he wrote it, obviously. Haven't we given him this lecture before?

Yes every most of the time he posts, he plagiarizes. The true journalistic instincts in texastvnes tell him to copy other people's work without giving them proper credit. Hope he doesn't go to college, because if he is caught doing this then he is as good as gone.

Haven't we given him this lecture before?

Yes...but of course he doesn't listen. ::(

Typical Texan...

Oh wait, I'll have Justin down my throat.

I don't really care what you have to say. Can't we all speak our mind from time to time?... ::)

Haven't we given him this lecture before?

Yes...but of course he doesn't listen. ::(

Typical Texan...

Oh wait, I'll have Justin down my throat.

OK, that was unnecessary. Keep the rivalry off the boards, please. I don't care what you talk about in the chat or in your special clubhouse thread, but leave the bitching about each other out of real topics.

OK, that was unnecessary. Keep the rivalry off the boards, please. I don't care what you talk about in the chat or in your special clubhouse thread, but leave the bitching about each other out of real topics.

Whoa, sir, DMA does not have a clubhouse membership card.

We frequenters of the house of club take care to be tactful in the placement of our acidity.

And, actually, Mr. Finn has visited the clubhouse in the past with glorious results. The scones were indeed excellent!

Archived