KXAS New Set & 2nd Station in HD

TexasTVNews

It looks like KTVT CBS 11 will be the third station in D/FW in HD. KXAS NBC 5 is

now the 2nd station in HD as of 4pm news time right now. Also they are now anchoring

the 4pm on their brand new set. I might get some screenshots of the new set segment

and the rest of the 5, 6 & 10pm news tonight.

I haven't been home yet. I will be watching tonight and give my analysis in the morning. From what I can see of the set, I think it looks too plain, but I will watch them when I get home... (pending, of course, that I don't get yet another speeding ticket on the way home, after the one this morning on the way in to work. >;) )

OMFG! Last night was HORRIBLE. The set background looked drab and dull. Apparently KXAS is keeping the NBC O&O Arthouse graphics, why? I don't know. The L3s were as croocked as a dog's hind leg, and didn't properly line up horizontally with the logo bug in the lower-right corner, like the old L3s did. I though for a minute that they were going the WTKR route, when on live shots during the 6:00 news, the L3 read "(Name Lastname)/NBC 5 (Insert town name here)". The first 9 minutes of last night's 10:00 news played like the obituary section of the newspaper. Now, to be fair, last night's lead story on all the stations was the sudden death of a high school kid during football practice, and how the community is coping with it. But after that, the other stations moved on. Not KXAS. They kept going through death after death...after death . . . after death... Now I know why some people find the news depressing. Jane McGarry's performance last night was a downright mess. (Chicago viewers, now I know how you feel about Diann Burns.) Mike wasn't much better. I think the fact that David Finfrock is still chief met is the only thing that keeps KXAS from completely crashing and burning. I wouldn't make my worst enemy have to sit through a KXAS newscast. Abismal...simply abismal. A complete flop.

I though for a minute that they were going the WTKR route, when on live shots during the 6:00 news, the L3 read "(Name Lastname)/NBC 5 (Insert town name here)".

Huh?

This is what I was getting at:

the silly "LIVE in the (community) Mobile Newsroom..."

Example:

RANDY MCILWAIN

NBC 5 DALLAS (or Fort Worth, Farmer's Branch, Plano, or where ever, etc.)

Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but I though the way they did that was not the best. To KXAS's credit though, they did fix it by 10:00. Now the town/location appears in the LIVE bug at the top-left.

A lot of the graphics are in the 4:3 aspect ratio, not even 16:9... (franchise, weather, etc.)

Well the Arthouse blue/orange look is not an HD package. From what I understand, the O&Os, as they become HD, are supposed to get the same look as WNBC has now.

A lot of the graphics are in the 4:3 aspect ratio, not even 16:9... (franchise, weather, etc.)

Well the Arthouse blue/orange look is not an HD package. From what I understand, the O&Os, as they become HD, are supposed to get the same look as WNBC has now.

Well that would explain all the blue in the set then...

OMFG! Last night was HORRIBLE. The set background looked drab and dull. Apparently KXAS is keeping the NBC O&O Arthouse graphics, why? I don't know. The L3s were as croocked as a dog's hind leg, and didn't properly line up horizontally with the logo bug in the lower-right corner, like the old L3s did. I though for a minute that they were going the WTKR route, when on live shots during the 6:00 news, the L3 read "(Name Lastname)/NBC 5 (Insert town name here)". The first 9 minutes of last night's 10:00 news played like the obituary section of the newspaper. Now, to be fair, last night's lead story on all the stations was the sudden death of a high school kid during football practice, and how the community is coping with it. But after that, the other stations moved on. Not KXAS. They kept going through death after death...after death . . . after death... Now I know why some people find the news depressing. Jane McGarry's performance last night was a downright mess. (Chicago viewers, now I know how you feel about Diann Burns.) Mike wasn't much better. I think the fact that David Finfrock is still chief met is the only thing that keeps KXAS from completely crashing and burning. I wouldn't make my worst enemy have to sit through a KXAS newscast. Abismal...simply abismal. A complete flop.

Well put. KXAS newscasts are just plain HORRIBLE. KTVT HD look debuts september 24th, I would imagine there's MUCH better.

they've also got a new slogan to go with it. i forget what it is right now

"Where You Matter". I saw one of the commercials that ran last night after the 10:00 news (which ran late because of the Cowboys/Giants game). In that particular ad, I thought it interesting that they used some of Stephen Arnold's production music. Go to the Stephen Arnold Music website, Click on Music at the far-left. Then choose Scoring from the drop-down menu. Click the More arrow to go to the second page of the list. The cut in question is number 13, "Ethereal".

Anyone else notice how many errors KXAS has been making lately since the HD Launch? Their 4pm newscast is filled with them (wrong video, wrong graphic, wrong split screen, etc.).

The TDs are probably just adjusting to a new switcher. KTVU's newscasts were filled with technical errors when they first moved into their new HD control room.

Archived