KGTV weatherman gets aggressive

A3N

Kind of funny, but KGTV weatherman Loren Nancarrow was cited for misdemeanor battery after he pushed a protestor that interrupted his live shot. The man that was pushed was with a group of union members trying to get KGTV's viewers attention on the ongoing labor dispute between the station and the worker's union.

Here is the story from the San Diego Union Tribune...

KGTV labor dispute shows up on YouTube

By John Wilkens

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

5:21 p.m. September 20, 2007

SAN DIEGO – An ongoing labor dispute between KGTV Channel 10 and some of its off-camera workers spilled onto the airwaves this week, with protesters disrupting a live report and sparking an altercation that left veteran weatherman Loren Nancarrow cited for misdemeanor battery.

View the video

Nancarrow was broadcasting from the G Street Mole at the Embarcadero late Tuesday afternoon when demonstrators started chanting the name of a pro-union website, “10 News Unfair.com! 10 News Unfair.com!”

In footage of the incident, posted on YouTube, Nancarrow advises the studio to cut the live shot and come back to him later, then moves toward one of the demonstrators after a protest sign is waved in front of the camera.

Demonstrators called the harbor police. Aaron Harrison, 31, who works in media relations for the local labor council, told officers Nancarrow attacked him.

Nancarrow, who had left, was called back to the G Street Mole and interviewed, according to John Gilmore, a police spokesman. Nancarrow was cited after Harrison made a citizen's arrest alleging misdemeanor battery. The case has been sent to the city attorney's office for a decision on whether to file charges, Gilmore said.

Harrison declined to comment. Nancarrow did not respond to phone and e-mail requests for comment.

The incident comes amid stalled negotiations between the station and the union representing about 35 engineers, technicians, directors, editors and artists. The last pact expired on Jan. 31, 2006.

“The main issue is that KGTV wants non-union people to do jobs now done by union people,” said Dennis Csillag, union president. “We all understand that the media landscape is changing. We're willing to work with them on those changes.”

Derek Dalton, the station's vice president and general manager, said KGTV is concerned about having “the flexibility to compete in the rapidly changing competitive marketplace. We need to be able to provide information to our consumers when they want it, how they want it, where they want it.”

The last negotiations were in July. No new talks are scheduled.

Union supporters have used a variety of tactics – billboards, leaflets – to draw attention to their cause.

Here is the video from YouTube...

[yt=425,350]szWFQpnY_Dc[/yt]

I don't know how it is in CA, but here at least what he did was permissible, considering the person with the sign was being aggressive and disruptive in his method.

What Nancarrow did was simply in self-defense, not knowing to what extent the protester would take his aggressive activity.

When I decided that I was no longer happy with my job, I gave my employer two weeks notice, and moved on to something better. Unless KGTV is holding their employees at gunpoint, those employees who think that 10 News is unfair have every opportunity to move on to something better as well. Good grief.

When I decided that I was no longer happy with my job, I gave my employer two weeks notice, and moved on to something better. Unless KGTV is holding their employees at gunpoint, those employees who think that 10 News is unfair have every opportunity to move on to something better as well. Good grief.

Exactly. KGTV is moving in a whole new direction, becoming a non-union shop. These workers use to get my sympathy but now its all just a show. Loren did the right thing, he warned the protester to get out of there and he didn't. He was pushed, and deservedly so. If I was Loren I would have done the same thing as well. What cracks me up is the tactics the union is taking to be heard. They are going about it the wrong way, and they expect to get a fair contract after all the crap they are doing? Yes, KGTV and McGraw Hill may be the evil empire of tv stations in San Diego, but they pay the bills and if they don't like it move on to a greener pasture.

Archived