WSAZ Themes Now Ringtones

devswartz

http://www.wsaz.com/station/misc/5940276.html

WPVI is no longer the only station to have its news theme available as a ringtone. WSAZ has made available pretty much every variation of the NBC Collection it currently uses in 96k mp3 format on its Web site, albeit the longest clip is 19 seconds. Amazingly, all the clips are free for anyone to download, and the FTP links at the bottom of the page redirect to the Gray Television corporate server. That makes me curious as to what else they might have on there. I am presuming WSAZ has received permission from Gari to publish these clips.

http://www.wsaz.com/station/misc/5940276.html

WPVI is no longer the only station to have its news theme available as a ringtone. WSAZ has made available pretty much every variation of the NBC Collection it currently uses in 96k mp3 format on its Web site, albeit the longest clip is 19 seconds. Amazingly, all the clips are free for anyone to download, and the FTP links at the bottom of the page redirect to the Gray Television corporate server. That makes me curious as to what else they might have on there. I am presuming WSAZ has received permission from Gari to publish these clips.

Those have been there for a while. Still, I wonder if they did get permission from GCI.

I think all the music companies need to make their packages avaliable as downloadable ringtones.

I think it's great promotion for the music companies. As long as a station gets permission, I don't see why they would object. It's a way to expand their brand image and it's cool, too...

Agreed to the both of you. I have always felt this way: Why on earth would the music companies say "No" to what is potential advertisement, and getting their names out there? Think about it from a business perspective: Cool sounding downloadable ringtones for a small fee, or some other fee-based system where they would receive some profit from it, like the system Napster went to, if I understand correctly. Don't the music houses know how much potential profit they are missing out on by not doing at least a model of what I'm talking about? Most everybody has a cell phone now, and newer cells have mp3 capability. It makes no sense to me why GCI, 615, and SAM/YBOM haven't capitalized on what is a potential gold mine already.

Agreed to the both of you. I have always felt this way: Why on earth would the music companies say "No" to what is potential advertisement, and getting their names out there? Think about it from a business perspective: Cool sounding downloadable ringtones for a small fee, or some other fee-based system where they would receive some profit from it, like the system Napster went to, if I understand correctly. Don't the music houses know how much potential profit they are missing out on by not doing at least a model of what I'm talking about? Most everybody has a cell phone now, and newer cells have mp3 capability. It makes no sense to me why GCI, 615, and SAM/YBOM haven't capitalized on what is a potential gold mine already.

Because stations like WSAZ pay thousands of dollars for a market exclusive license on this music. Selling news themes as ringtones would take away that exclusivity. Why pay thousands of dollars for a specific sound or brand when any old yahoo can walk around with the same music playing everytime his ladyfriend dials his number? If the station gets permission and offers the music as ringtones, that's another issue, and I'd be all for that; leaving the option up to the station.

And as for a goldmine, aside from maybe 50-100 members of TVNT, who would buy the things? I honestly don't think people care that much. I probably would, but then again we're not in the majority. We're a rare breed, and there aren't many of us. I'd venture that 75 percent of the members of this board have no interest or could care less whether or not GCI offers Flagship as a 99-cent ringtone.

It's just not that big of a deal to most people. Not that I wouldn't buy them...

This is what says below the FTP links:

All ringtones and/or music clips are copyrighted material produced by Gari Communications, and licensed for use by WSAZ NewsChannel 3. You may not redistribute or sell these clips without written permission from WSAZ or Gari Communications.

And as for a goldmine, aside from maybe 50-100 members of TVNT, who would buy the things? I honestly don't think people care that much.

Considering WSAZ's almost 60-year dominance in this area and their ridiculous ratings even today--they pulled a 43 share at 6 p.m. a year ago, and they still draw rating points in the 20s--there are some hardcore 3 fans out there. However, 3 is nowhere near as strong content-wise as it once was, so the hardcore fan base has been dropping. Additionally, the ringtone marketing may not work as planned because the majority of SAZ's audience is 50+, not to mention the topography issues that make receiving a TV signal, let alone a puny cell phone signal, a challenge in some parts of the market.

Archived