WJZ Branding

Free2BthaCW

Yeah thats what I thought. I mean even watching the station, it seems kinda odd that they would go to CBS 13. Shoot, we know it as WJZ, as anything else would be just plain strange. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any truth to the matter, since WJZ did get knocked down to second place in the last ratings period (even in the mornings!).

Let's hope they don't become a victim of the already-passe Viacom mandate.

As corny as WJZ is to an outsider, they are a true local news station. Kudos to them.

My wild guess...all the Washingtonians who are flocking to Baltimore for more affordable housing are tuning to WBAL because they see that station as more professional.

• 2 months later...

I just noticed this!

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/audioplayer_main.php?media=opens,1636,7

Of course, according to the vids on 'JZ's site, they're still Eyewitness News! Anything about them still keeping the EWN name or no?

That does sound like a different open than they've been using the past few years, no mention of their long-time Eyewitness News moniker and that particular mix of Chroma Cues...those sound effects definitely weren't being used on the last WJZ open I saw. Can anyone on the forum from Baltimore get us some WJZ caps??? All I can say is I hope they don't go to the Viacom mandate (WBBM) or the new European-style branding of WBZ...I would like to see them keep the Group-W logo with some new Hothaus graphics like KPIX's, but keep Chroma Cues for sure.

I remember when we did the Open News Project and everyone tried to turn in caps from their market, someone did get the WJZ open. The sound effects were definitely in that one, because we were all wondering (and discussing) why Mark Viviano got the artistic swoosh and none of the other talent did. Someone remarked that they had finally ditched the color pinwheel; but I don't remember them eschewing "Eyewitness" in that one.

Haha WJZ has always been on the strange side, but we always loved it, for a while that is. I remember way back when the talent opens didnt even have last names. Who knows, maybe this is a step in the wrong direction, Eyewitness News has been apart of Baltimore for years now, and it would be a crying shame if they took it away now. You would think they would take a hint from 30 mins south in DC from WUSA. Oh well.

I remember when we did the Open News Project and everyone tried to turn in caps from their market, someone did get the WJZ open. The sound effects were definitely in that one, because we were all wondering (and discussing) why Mark Viviano got the artistic swoosh and none of the other talent did. Someone remarked that they had finally ditched the color pinwheel; but I don't remember them eschewing "Eyewitness" in that one.

Yeah Matt what's the deal with that news open project anyway? ;D

Archived