WBRZ's Andrea Clesi to retire at year's end

PelicanGuy

clesi+retire+100407.jpg

WBRZ-TV news anchor Andrea Clesi gets a friendly hug from co-anchor Michael Marsh during Wednesday’s 6 p.m. newscast after Clesi announced she will retire in December after 30 years at the station.

WBRZ anchor retiring

By SONIA SMITH

Advocate staff writer

Published: Oct 4, 2007 - Page: 1B

Halfway through the 6 p.m. newscast Wednesday, WBRZ-TV’s longtime news anchor, Andrea Clesi, announced her retirement.

“I’m hanging up my microphone at the end of this year,” Clesi, 51, told viewers, before thanking the Manship family — owners of Channel 2 and The Advocate — and colleagues.

Clesi, who began her career at WBRZ as an intern in 1977, has been an anchor at the station since 1982.

“It’s been a fabulous, fabulous time,” Clesi said in the newsroom Wednesday night. “I wanted to be a news reporter since I was 10 years old, and I’ve been able to do that for the last 30 years.”

Clesi said her most memorable experience at the station was covering Hurricane Katrina.

“It was the biggest story in the 30 years that I’ve been here,” she said.

A lifelong resident of Baton Rouge, Clesi said she has seen the city grow “more sophisticated and diverse.”

In her 30-year career, Clesi has received numerous honors, including the Louisiana Association of Broadcaster’s 2005 Lifetime Achievement Award.

Clesi is no stranger to personal loss. After her 18-year-old son died in a car accident near Clinton, Clesi wrote and produced a series on the importance of safety belts. The series garnered her a public service award from President Clinton.

Clesi, who received her bachelor’s degree from the LSU School of Journalism, said she intends to return to the university to get her master’s degree.

“Andrea Clesi has earned my praise and appreciation for the work she has done,” WBRZ President Richard Manship said. “She is trusted, fair, and always keeps the interests of her viewers in mind. We’re happy for her and grateful for her contributions to the station, the industry and this community.”

Clesi said she made the decision to leave recently and does not know who will be filling her anchor slot.

“I’d like some private time away from the very public aspects of television,” she said. “I’ve been in the public eye for most of my adult life.”

As Clesi exited the studio Wednesday, her colleagues asked how she felt. “I feel fine,” she replied.

“Thirty years at one place in television is an eternity,” co-anchor Michael Marsh said to Clesi after the newscast.

Archived