NBC Plans To Move From Burbank To Universal City

News4LA

http://www.knbc.com/news/14314777/detail.html?rss=la&psp=news

LOS ANGELES -- NBC plans to announce Thursday that it plans to move from Burbank to Universal City in 2011, according to company officials.

NBC-Universal Statement

The West Coast News Headquarters and Content Center will house the Los Angeles bureau of NBC News, and KNBC, KVEA and Access Hollywood. The new facility will be located across the street from Universal Studios and Universal Studios Hollywood theme park and CityWalk.

"This facility represents the future of local content gathering," said Linda Sullivan, president and general manager of KNBC. "Our ability to serve the community is key to our success as a local television station. The content center will improve our newsgathering capabilities, allowing us to leverage the power of the entire NBC portfolio and focus on what we do best -- local content creation that is relevant to our viewers and easily accessible on all media platforms."

The proposed location is at the Metropolitan Transportation Authority Red Line Subway Station. The project would be the anchor tenant for the Thomas Properties, a project proposed by the city of Los Angeles.

The project is in the design stages, but a statement from the company said the facility will include "state-of-the-art technologies such as virtual studios with 'green screen' and interactive graphic capabilities, a media operations center with full satellite downlink capabilities, increased fiber connectivity, cross platform and multi-functional control rooms, a futuristic news room for all productions, and an office building that will seamlessly connect to the studio operations."

The facility will enable high-definition broadcasts.

Part of the facility will be modeled after the "Today" show set in New York City. The building will host the "Today" show and "Nightly News" when the programs broadcast from Los Angeles.

Guest Former Member 207

Everybody's seems to be on the move here in L.A. You already had KCBS/KCAL moving to Studio City, KCOP moving in with KTTV in West L.A., KTLA's potential move and now KNBC/KVEA. Of course, with the NBC-Universal merger, it was a move that was bound to happen. If you ever been to Universal Studios, if you head to the top of the hill there, looking northeast you can see of all Burbank, including Warner Brothers and Disney/ABC, as well as NBC (which are all right in the same neighborhood).

Here's a more detailed story from the L.A. Daily News:

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_7142542?source=rss

Here's also a map with the current NBC Studios and its relative location to Universal City...

20071011_013155_DN11-NBC-c_GALLERY.jpg

WOW!, What's next for NBC 4 LA? Is KNBC getting the new studio like KCBS when CBS 2 moved to Studio City?

yep, right in front of Universal City. But Channel 4 News is expected to go HD soon. With the move, I hope they retain the name, instead of going NBC4 News.

We all know that Conan O'Brien will take Jay Leno's place on the Tonight Show in mid or late 2009, but word is that Conan is moving to LA when he takes over the Tonight Show.

He is, as the tonight show will now broadcast from the Universal Studios Backlot. NBC 2.0 is doing this to integrate all operations....sounds like micromanagment to me.

WOW!, What's next for NBC 4 LA? Is KNBC getting the new studio like KCBS when CBS 2 moved to Studio City?

yep, right in front of Universal City. But Channel 4 News is expected to go HD soon. With the move, I hope they retain the name, instead of going NBC4 News.

Didn't KNBC tried to name the news to NBC 4 News, but instead retained their name "Channel 4 News" because it has been used since the 1980's?

I don't Think so.

They were NewsCenter 4, News 4 LA and now there still "The Channel 4 News". So I don't think they not going to change the news title.

They were NBC 4 News for a short time, but who knows, NBC2.0 might force it, it's all about integration.

The facilities will look nice though, and CityWalk is a pretty packed area.

I don't Think so.

They were NewsCenter 4, News 4 LA and now there still "The Channel 4 News". So I don't think they not going to change the news title.

They were NBC 4 News for a short time, but who knows, NBC2.0 might force it, it's all about integration.

The facilities will look nice though, and CityWalk is a pretty packed area.

I disagree. 30 Rock now houses NBC News World Headquarters and MSNBC. Because of that I doubt that WNBC is changing their name to NBC 4 News to match integration. They have been 12 years with the NewsChannel4 name and I doubt they'll change it, let alone, KNBC which has the same name, Channel 4 News for longer. And it's all about to keep it simple for the audience, kinda which WABC did, they were branded ABC 7 Eyewitness News and they changed it back to Channel 7, why, simplicity my friend. The NBC 2.0 cuts aren't a reason.

Archived