WEAR to Have 4:00 PM Newscast

Mario500

On December 10th, WEAR, the notorious ABC affiliate from Pensacola, Florida, will begin an hour-long newscast at 4:00 PM, followed by their regular 5:00 PM newscast, "ABC World News", and the 6:00 PM newscast. "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" will move back an hour from its current timeslot at 4:00 PM, meaning "The Maury Povich Show" will be no more on WEAR.

Like the station's cancellation of "The Jerry Springer Show", not many viewers will miss "Maury", which I find worse than the former that airs daily on WEAR's low-powered "sister station" WFGX in Fort Walton Beach, Florida.

WEAR will continue its hour-long newscast at 10:00 PM, followed by a tape-delayed (after 20+ years) "Nightline", syndicated program "The Insider", tape-delayed "Jimmy Kimmel Live", three paid programs, tape-delayed "World News Now", "America this Morning" (live), and the morning newscast "3 in the Morning" at 5:00 AM.

This station never ceases to amaze me by its programming practices. The network and local advertisers need to reconsider their affiliation agreements with WEAR. Mobile-Pensacola has suffered long enough.

If your only ABC affiliate was WEAR over the past 10 years, you have never seen an episode of the serial "Port Charles". If you expect "ABC World News" on the weekend nowadays, you will be surprised to see "The Insider", "Inside Edition" (weekday edition on WFGX only), or paid programming at 5:30 PM.

There was a time when "World News This Morning" did not air at all in favor of another half-hour of tape-delayed "World News Now". If viewers are not suffering, then WEAR is doing a poor job at abusing its network affiliation and programming.

I suppose you don't realize that stations used to pre-empt network programming ALL THE TIME up until the 80s and no one called it "abuse".

It was a common practice back then. WKRG tape-delayed certain CBS prime time programs by a week or just a few days during the 1970s until the practice stopped early in the next decade. Nowadays, TV5 only tape-delays network programs for late night viewing to schedule one-hour news specials, live Mardi Gras parade coverage (CBS daytime programs, except "The Price is Right"), and Billy Graham programs.

This station never ceases to amaze me by its programming practices. The network and local advertisers need to reconsider their affiliation agreements with WEAR. Mobile-Pensacola has suffered long enough.

When I saw who ran the station (Sinclair Broadcast Group) I really wasn't suprised. Here in Columbus WSYX/WTTE (also owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group) aren't really a factor. Let's face the facts, Sinclair can't run a station worth a damn.

Archived