New Look WSMV - HD

TSSZNews

It does NOT look good at ALL.

There appears to be heavy use of VizRT design but the L3s take too long to wipe in...so with some of the stories I saw, there were a few incorrect straps and some very long periods without L3s.

In addition...their bug...the peacock now completely covers the 4 so it's very hard to tell that it's a 4.

Any other input from those leaving near?

-T

Uhh okay....it does little good to post this without any examples of the gfx.

I gotcha covered. (May take a moment to load)

[YT]-zF-daaN2r4[/YT]

My two cents:

Graphics: Decent; better than what they had.

Music: OK. Not a big fan of production music though.

Set: WTVF's set is still better than this piece of effort.

Yea. For about a month I had been a waiting for the new look. The set is awesome, but a little dark and doesn't fit the traditional WSMV NBC feel. The set and graphics don't really go together, but overall it's a nice new look. Any set screencaps?

That seems to be there claim to fame, because there old set that they got back in 01 or 02(fx group) had a huge moniter in plain veiw on the desk. The style now is for the anchors to use laptops and open and close them at certain points in the newcasts.

With the video I can see that WSMV based the design around the NBC 2.0 national graphics--pieces of it anyway.

I just can't see the graphic look lasting more than a year, tops. There's too much inconsistency with it and the set design, etc.

-T

Holy crap. It looks like Demetria Kalodimos' makeup bag exploded.. or maybe Paintbox.

And what's with the weather set that looks like some crappy prefab 1980s building facade? Companies actually think this is attractive?

I'd be having a cow now if I was within the upper realms of Meridith.

I think I need to give them credit for trying something different and innovative... better than the cookie-cutter HD stuff GO has been rolling across the country (I LIKE GO, but I don't see why every HD design they do has to have that "HIGH DEFINITION TELEVISION" strap at the bottom on every open, among other things...)

That said, I don't think "different" and "innovative" automatically means good. It needs to be toned down significantly. And the set... uhhhh... no.

Damn...I literally missed this debut by like 4 days. My dad just moved to Nashville and I was there over Thanksgiving.

(oh, glad the site is back up..but since my old bookmark didn't work, I didn't know it was)

While in Nashville, I watched WSMV as part of a class project (part of my Broadcast Performance final was critiquing a local newscast as if I were a consultant). I remarked in my paper that the camera shots were very tightly controlled and that I wondered if the producer was trying to limit crosstalk between Dan and Demitria because they weren't getting along.

Now, I imagine it was because they were down to two desk cameras due to the limited space while the new set was being built (the third camera was, I imagine, being used for the reporter stand-ups by the plasma).

That being said, it doesn't look bad. WTVF's set is far and away better, though. The graphics are a little loud, colorwise. And for god's sake, can't they please get another v/o guy. I hate the way this guys sounds, on WGN on WSMV or any station I've heard him on.

WSMV, so far as I know, hasn't used the "Sieze The Day" package for while. Their previous open was using production music as well.

I wish KNBC would do something along the lines of this. They already use one of the peacock feathers to show things in their plugs for stories. This makes me think: What would this sound like with The Tower or their "LA Groove"? They say they will be going HD soon, but it is almost like they keep pushing back the date.

Did anyone catch that it looks like they're using the Grass Valley Ignite production automation now? Those "studio cameras" (term used lightly) are the crappy Ignite HDC robotic cameras on tripods. No more trucks or fancy camera moves for WSMV!

The graphics are definitely a ripoff of the NBC standardized graphics package...and also appear to be inspired somewhat by the new standard Belo package as well. Very underwhelming and the set is a definite disappointment.

Watched some video on their site today...now even more unimpressed by the new graphics.

The bright green and blues are way to loud and i definately do not like the way they "pop-up" on the screen, like a website pop-up menu or banner ad. It's very annoying.

Archived