ABC27 Weather Legend Chuck Rhodes stepping down .....

susquvalleywgal

In a most shocking turn of events, ABC27 Chief Meteorologist Chuck Rhodes has decided to step down as weather forecaster effective May of 2008, to become a features reporter with the station. ABC27 came to him for a contract renewal, but he had other plans. The transition from weather to features begins Jan. 7, 2008, and will complete in May with 'On The Road With Chuck Rhodes' reports.

He will be missed in the weather area, and I wish him luck with this new adventure.

Link and story follows from The Patriot-News (Harrisburg, PA):

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2007/12/chuck_rhodes_has_new_forecast.html

// begin

Chuck Rhodes has new forecast

by BARRY FOX, Of The Patriot-News

Tuesday December 04, 2007, 12:00 AM

After 34 years as the dean of weather forecasting in the midstate, WHTM-TV's Chuck Rhodes will step down in January to become a reporter.

Rhodes, who will turn 61 Wednesday, emphasized that the move is solely his doing and that he surprised station management when he proposed it.

"They came to me with a nice contract to stay right where I was," Rhodes said. "This has been in the works for a couple of years. This was my idea. I assessed everything and decided it was time for a change. After 34 years, I wanted to try something new."

That will be "On the Road with Chuck Rhodes Reports," several stories a week that Rhodes said would be about "the people and places in the area in my style, which people know is a little loose and a little fun."

Rhodes is known for his goofy sense of humor and sunny disposition.

"We were surprised when Chuck presented his plan," WHTM president and general manager Joe Lewin said in announcing the changes. "However, his decision to turn his attention to feature reporting is a natural progression for his personality. His down-to-earth approach and folksy charm will allow Chuck to create truly memorable feature stories that will connect with our viewers."

Rhodes' transition from weather to news will begin Jan. 7, when he will start producing feature stories while doing the weather forecasts on the noon and 6 p.m. newscasts.

By May, he will be solely a features reporter.

Mick O'Hearn will move from mornings to take over the weather forecasting duties on the 5, 7 and 11 p.m. newscasts. Eric Finkenbinder will replace O'Hearn on "ABC27 News Daybreak."

"He's the consummate weather pro," said WGAL-TV's Doug Allen, a 20-year weather forecasting veteran. "He's been at it a long time and seen a lot of technological changes. He's always been the people's favorite, and I have a lot of respect for him."

Those technological changes and the grind of so many newscasts were a factor in Rhodes' decision.

"I felt so boxed in," he said. "I wasn't getting out to the community, and I wanted to get back out to what I do best, speaking to a live audience," Rhodes said.

A Mifflin County native and Penn State University graduate, Rhodes has been with WHTM since 1973. He began his career at the station, doing weather forecasting and news reporting, and eventually doing weather full time.

Now he's looking for a new challenge.

"If you've ever come to one of my presentations, it's not about the weather or television. It's about people and places and stories I tell about being from a small town and a big family," Rhodes said. "I will miss the daily contact with the audience, but this will give me the flexibility to be out in the community. And, it will give me a chance to relax, regroup and get a new fire in my belly."

// end

Archived