Co-Anchor Cynne Simpson, Chief Meteorologist Gene Norman leaving WGCL/Atlanta

William

WGCL-TV has lost two of its more popular on-air personalites, evening anchor/reporter Cynne Simpson and meteorologist Gene Norman. Simpson has been there for three years. Norman has been at the station a relatively long time, arriving in 2000. The CBS affiliate, which is just getting over the Cari Champion “mothersucka” firing, had stabilized management and staff the past two years after several years of turnover.

No word on where Simpson is going. Subscription-only NewsBlues reports that Norman is moving to Fox affiliate KRIV-26 in Houston to be that station’s primary meteorologist. (NewsBlues on Thursday said it erred. Norman is actually going to the CBS affiliate KHOU-11 in Houston.)

In a memo sent to employees Tuesday, news director Rick Erbach wrote:

I regret to announce the resignation of two key and beloved members of the CBS 46 News family.

CBS 46 News anchor/reporter Cynne’ Simpson and Chief Meteorologist Gene Norman have accepted new jobs outside of Atlanta.

*Cynne’ is leaving us for an exciting new position. She will make her announcement by the end of the week.

*Gene is also leaving to pursue an opportunity. He’ll make his announcement by the end of the year.

I can’t thank Cynne’ and Gene enough for all of their hard work and enthusiasm. Both are professionals and great people. They will be dearly missed. While I would like to see them stay, their new career opportunities will provide them with new challenges and rewards. We all appreciate their dedication and their never ending parade of public appearances.

Cynne’s last day with us is December 7th and Gene will be staying through the Holidays. His last day will be January 18th.

Again, we thank both for their accomplishments and their passion. We are a better station today because of their efforts

Good luck!

Rick

-----------------------------------------

Story from of accessatlanta.com

-----------------------------------------

I'm not too sad to see Cynne go, but I am kind of shocked to see Gene leave.

I think Gene Norman will be good at KHOU. I enjoyed watching him on KTRK when he was their weekend meteorologist.

He left ABC-13 in 2000 to replace David Weatherbee at WGCL, so its not like he's a complete unknown quantity in Houston.

I think it's a good move on KHOU's part.

I think Gene Norman will be good at KHOU. I enjoyed watching him on KTRK when he was their weekend meteorologist.

He left ABC-13 in 2000 to replace David Weatherbee John Wetherbee at WGCL, so its not like he's a complete unknown quantity in Houston.

I think it's a good move on KHOU's part.

Considering Cynne Simpson is legendary radio-icon, long-time WPGC 95.5 morning drive personality Donnie Simpson's niece, that she might be accepting at job WPGC in DC or something with CBS Corporation. But I could be wrong. ???

Archived