Longtime KVIA Veteran Anchor to Retire

West Texas

Veteran anchor Gary Warner announces retirement

Posted: Dec 8, 2007 05:01 PM MST

EL PASO - Longtime ABC 7 anchor Gary Warner has announced he will retire next year. Warner, who has been with the station since 1973, will close out his distinguished career on May 21 of next year.

Warner's service in the U.S. Army brought him to El Paso in 1968. After two years of training at Fort Bliss, he returned to Chicago to finish college.

Five years later, armed with a degree in political science and two years of broadcasting experience, he returned to El Paso and landed a job in radio, at KELP-AM. It wasn't long before he switched over to KELP-TV, which later became KVIA.

For the next 34 years Warner shared the desk with many co-anchors and witnessed world history unfold. He said he feels lucky to a have lived through everything he's covered.

ABC 7's Rick Cabrera has been named Warner's successor. Early next year, he will take over the primetime anchor desk at 6 p.m. Monday through Friday with Estela Casas. Warner and Casas will continue at 5 and 10 p.m.

During his farewell month in May, Warner will co-anchor with Casas for the 5, 6 and 10 p.m. newscasts.

Source: http://www.kvia.com/global/story.asp?s=7470434

The day was coming, so I think not too many people locally were surprised. Having growing up watching KVIA as a kid and continues today, KVIA continues to dominate the market...thanks to the pair of Gary & Estela.

But, IMO, 7 probably won't be the same after his departure...not to mention the decision on his successor...but we'll have to just wait and see...

Nevertheless, Gary is a distinguished and class-act individual all the way. Bravo Mr. Warner, congrats, and enjoy your retirement! :o

I too am not to crazy about Gary Warner's successor (the "weekend sports anchor-turned sports director-turned morning anchor" all in the span of about 3 years). But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I wonder if the morning vacancy will open the door for Ben Swann's reappearance on El Paso TV? Or will Hillary Floren get a fourth morning co-anchor named Robert (namely Bob Harp)?

All in all, Gary Warner will be missed.

I too am not to crazy about Gary Warner's successor (the "weekend sports anchor-turned sports director-turned morning anchor" all in the span of about 3 years). But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Exactly. Rick's presentation isn't exactly "up-to-par" per-se on GMEP, and at Noon. But like you said, time will tell...

I wonder if the morning vacancy will open the door for Ben Swann's reappearance on El Paso TV? Or will Hillary Floren get a fourth morning co-anchor named Robert (namely Bob Harp)?

Ben could be a possibility. Since his sudden departure w/ KFOX left him in a "non-compete clause" in his contract, that's why he's currently off-air, but only temporarily...and should be done by the time come May, so it would be a perfect opportunity. (I think all of El Paso is waiting for Ben too. lol. :o) I think Bob is fine on the weekends though...

Archived