Molly Hughes Demoted at KCNC

NewsMan

She will become a special projects correspondent for KCNC doing stories under the title Molly Hughes Reports. Despite KCNC's best ratings since 1998 she is being demoted because KCNC General Manager Walt DeHaven says "that while the November numbers were great news for his station, “We think we can do better. We want to win every time period. It's not a time to play it safe, it's a time to go after it.” he also said " KCNC will conduct a nationwide search, but will also consider morning news anchor Brooke Wagner for the top anchor spot. He expects to have Hughes' replacement on board for the 5, 6, 6:30 and 10 p.m. slots in February. The most notable quote is Benemann's new news partner will be a woman, DeHaven said. “We just think the team of a male-female anchor has become the norm, and we're not going to deviate from that. When you take it beyond journalism and look at the entire package as a newscast, Jim and Molly were a good team, and we're looking for a great team.”.

One article says Molly will stay on until her replacement is named another says March 1 after sweeps we''ll see if KCNC drops its ratings.

Sources: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/dec/11/parker-new-assignment-for-news-anchor/

http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_7695052

The only time I saw Molly was when she was doing a thing with our CBS affiliate (WBZ) around the time that the Rockies and Red Sox were in the World Series. From what I saw she was a good anchor, and had some good chemistry with her co-anchor. I wish her the best.

Archived