WTWO using college students as on-air staff?

who?cares

I was watching WTWO a while ago, and they had somebody i have never seen before doing the weather. I don't know if this is and Indiana State Student, or what, but she was defiantly nervous, and inexperienced. I would like to take the time to remind you that this is the same station that had the "Doppler Dead Zone" promo.

Does any other station do this?

um...yes. It's quite common.

Deborah Norville got her start anchoring at WAGA-Atlanta while she was still in school at UG.

One of my Communications professors, Karyn Brown, started at either WQAD or KWQC in the Quad Cities while she was in school Augustana College in Rock Island, IL.

WCBI-Columbus, MS uses senior-year or graduate-level Broadcast Meteorology students as weekend weather anchors as does WTOK-Meridian.

The weekend anchors, reporters and maybe the morning anchors at KOMU-Columbia, MO are students in the University of Missouri School of Journalism (the university owns the NBC-affiliated station).

Newzpimpin' started at WBBJ-Jackson just before he graduated (correct me if I'm wrong that on that, NP).

I think the anchors and reporters at WVUA-Tuscaloosa, AL are mostly students.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment, but I could almost guarantee there are more.

One of my old interns was part of a program at Syracuse University, where he was dispatched to Washington, DC and filed stories for WTWO over a 2 month period.

I think it's called "Washington Newsroom," and several small market stations participate.

Quote: "I was watching WTWO a while ago, and they had somebody i have never seen before doing the weather."

She's a news producer at the station, and only fills in when regular on-air weather peeps are on vacation. She's been on a few times before, mainly on weekends.

I was watching WTWO a while ago, and they had somebody i have never seen before doing the weather. I don't know if this is and Indiana State Student, or what, but she was defiantly nervous, and inexperienced. I would like to take the time to remind you that this is the same station that had the "Doppler Dead Zone" promo.

Does any other station do this?

What do you expect from a Nexstar station? They will do anything and everything to save a penny. I used to be a Nexstar employee, and if my station wasn't a union shop at the time, they would have thrown interns on the air to save on overtime. I'm not surprised to hear this news about WTWO. Yes, college students need to start somewhere, but not in markets that is not meant for beginners. Their start should be on a college newscast or in a smaller market. If they want to be on the air, go to a smaller market like Billings, Montana and pay their dues there. Oh wait, Nexstar closed down a newsroom Bozeman after it was only open for 18 months (KSVI to be exact...Quorum started news there, Nexstar bought the place and shut down the newsroom).

What do you expect from a Nexstar station? They will do anything and everything to save a penny. I used to be a Nexstar employee, and if my station wasn't a union shop at the time, they would have thrown interns on the air to save on overtime. I'm not surprised to hear this news about WTWO. Yes, college students need to start somewhere, but not in markets that is not meant for beginners. Their start should be on a college newscast or in a smaller market. If they want to be on the air, go to a smaller market like Billings, Montana and pay their dues there. Oh wait, Nexstar closed down a newsroom Bozeman after it was only open for 18 months (KSVI to be exact...Quorum started news there, Nexstar bought the place and shut down the newsroom).

Terre Haute is market 151, what better place to get ones feet wet? All knocking of Nexstar aside, where would you propose a just-graduated student start if not market 151?

I don't see what all the hoopla is about WTWO using college students on-air, Most likely students from ISU. WTHI does this all the time, in fact most of their reporters usually have graduated within the past year at ISU before moving on to other markets.

I don't see what all the hoopla is about WTWO using college students on-air, Most likely students from ISU. WTHI does this all the time, in fact most of their reporters usually have graduated within the past year at ISU before moving on to other markets.

I can't even keep up with the number of reporters that have gone through WTHI-TV in just the past few years. It seems a majority were definitely out of ISU, with a couple from IU here and there.

On an unrelated note, WTWO is reportedly losing one of their sports guys, who's moving up to Indianapolis. The job's been posted.

Archived