Rant: What CBS 3 Needs To Do, Now, With Alycia Lane

Jess

I don't like writing things like this. As trivial as events regarding the Philadelphia news media may be, as divisive as some of the on-air and off-air talent may be, they are still human beings. And the dismissal of anyone - news talent or otherwise - is not a fun thing. Especially in a controversy or a situation like this one, a dismissal or a serious punishment will have consequences. I make this statement with full knowledge of this; suffice it to say that I do not wish any harm to Alycia Lane or anyone at KYW.

But when looking at not only the events of the past two days with Alycia Lane, but the pattern of past behavior she has allegedly engaged in during the last few years, at some point someone needs to say "enough is enough". KYW needs to do the right thing for everyone involved and sever ties with Ms. Lane.

Like it or not, the 6pm and 11pm talents are the face of the station. They do all the charity events, promotions, and various other things that embody the station. I know, there are exceptions - but generally that's the case with every station, big or small. There's a lot more there than just reading the news. When you're in that position, you have to watch how you behave. That's a truism dating back years, from Tex Antoine, to Jim Jensen's stint in rehab, to Bill Kamal... each one broke that golden rule.

Add Alycia Lane to that list. The fact that she has suffered the indignity of being arrested alone goes against the spirit of this unspoken law. On top of that, the allegations, if proven true, are uncalled for. And on top of THAT, there's obviously the Rich Eisen incident of earlier this year as well as the numerous antics regarding her relationship. It's fine, and expected, to appear in the local gossip columns from time to time. It's not fine when you're making TMZ (It is generally a very bad thing to make TMZ). This is not a one-time or two-time incident; this is the continuation of a series of events dating back over the past year, if not longer.

Alycia Lane's actions have, in my opinion, damaged the credibility and image of not only herself, but the entire station. An anchor of the number two 11pm newscast in town should NEVER have to be arrested and serve time in jail. An anchor of the number two 11pm newscast in town should NEVER have homophobic slurs attributed to them, regardless of if they are true or not. An anchor of the number two 11pm newscast in town should NEVER be giggled about in the national and local media. At what point does an anchor stop being an anchor and become a national laughingstock?

KYW is in a difficult situation. They have been on a ratings rebound for the last few years, and the Lane-Mendte pairing is no doubt a good part of that. Any move to change that team, understandably, has a risk of damaging the progress they've made. I don't doubt that the next few days (and yes, I said days - these things have a habit of developing fast) are going to be tough ones for everyone working there, from management on down. The actions of one person, good or bad, have a habit of affecting others in profound ways.

However, I think that any short-term ratings damage could be offset by long-term benefits to the integrity of the station. KYW has a very real chance to send a message; that this kind of behavior isn't acceptable for their top talent. For their sake, I hope they do so.

Very well written and I agree with most points.

KYW has been improving themselves for quite a while and I think they do need to sever ties with Ms. Lane. It is quite a shame of the incident that has happened ....

I do find it very interesting that (according to a Philly.com blog (link enclosed below) that after she was released from jail that she called Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, on his personal cell phone. Now, unless if she was absolutely guilty, why would you need to call fast Eddy? Sorry folks, she's guilty. And in today's realm of public opinion, you are GUILTY until proven INNOCENT.

One thing we have to remember here tho ..... there are ALWAYS TWO sides to EVERY STORY, then there is THE TRUTH.

-- Matt

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillygossip/12569421.html

Archived