New WNYW Weather Personality

morningnewsfan

I posted this when the question came up in the 'Linda Church' thread:

Originally Posted by CBS2HD

If you read it correctly, it states that Melissa Magee is joining WNYW for their 11am broadcast.

That's correct.

Apparently hired as a one for one replacement for Tracy Humphrey but only for the 11 Am show and website.

They asked Craig Allen to continue on weekends at Fox5, but this new person will be the primary fill in since Allen has a commitment to radio during the week.

They hired a non-certified meteorologist, whose background is in news? In the number one market? To do the weather?

Seriously?

Great station.

You want the short list or the long list of people who are "weather personalities" instead of meteorologists. It is shameful! Especially on the national broadcasts.

Steve Baskerville has been WBBM's "Chief Weatherman" for many years without being an actual certified Meteorologist. He's been with WBBM since 1987 and only got his Meteorology certificate in 2006 and got his AMS seal of approval last year. He's been one of the most accurate weather anchors in town. He knows the trade, he knows how to use all the tools, and he really knows how to forecast.

Really, if you know what you're doing, the "Meteorologist" title makes no difference. Back in the '60s and '70s, many TV weather people got their start that way. They got hired to the station, got a short training lesson from someone at the station on how to use the tools/equipment and how to put together a forecast, and before the person knew it, he/she was the station's weather person. Over time, the weather person just got better at it. However, in the '80s, stations' management started pushing for the actual "Meteorologist" title/degree so many of them who's already been doing in on TV went to school part time and got it.

Many stations have more meteorologists than the ones you see on TV. They have off-air meteorologists. Many are just not on-air material so some stations have a "weather personality" who knows how to present (or "communicate to the audience") the weather forecast but he/she isn't not actually working in the weather center/office on the forecast. Some stations like this because they can have more flexibility from a talent like this. In addition to presenting the weather, he/she can also be a reporter, fill-in anchor, etc. For some stations, this is a money saver.

You want the short list or the long list of people who are "weather personalities" instead of meteorologists. It is shameful! Especially on the national broadcasts.

I'm with Suit on this one, but especially for local stations. I guess I can understand the nets going for the goofballs, clowns, blow-dry Ken and Barbies. All they have to do is broadbrush warm here and rain there.

Local news should always hire degreed weathercasters. And in fact, this new WNYW hire has her degree in English and French. Now just how might that help me when the next severe thunderstorm or blizzard is on the way?

I don't have a problem with the folks who have been doing weather for a long time and not being a meteorologist -- if they know weather, more power to them.

But someone who has no background in it at all, getting hired... that I have a problem with.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived