Only 1 FOX O&O station not been FOX'd, yet

RGSJenkins

With KSTU in Utah changing their graphics and theme to the FOX O&O treatment before they are sold, only KTBC in Austin, TX will be the last station to get that treatment.

My rant: I know FOX wants a uniform look for their stations, but give them some space to make their own identity. Look at NBC O&O's. Most of them have the O&O graphics except for WNBC & KNTV. But each one of those stations have different colors, music, and branding to fit each market. Then again, FOX have been branding all of their stations since day 1, forcing stations to add FOX to the branding. I give gusto to WSVN and KHON to not brand themselves "FOX 7" and "FOX 2."

OK, I've been wanting to make a statement on this for awhile.

The Fox corporate station look, when one actually LOOKS at it, is actually one of the most well conceived corporate looks out there. That's because the idea behind it is actually quite sound: it's part of an overall strategy to use the O&Os as a major part of the overall Fox News organization.

At least on WTXF, I've seen a bit more sourcing from not only Fox News, but also local affiliates as well. And many stations now seem to have "national" mic flags - the local station logo on one side, the Fox News logo on the other. Additionally, WTXF has aired a promo for election coverage that specifically states "coverage from Fox 29 and Fox Television Stations from coast to coast!"

There's that - and also the fact that there still seems to be a great deal of local autonomy as far as both presentation and content are concerned. Look behind the opens, and you'll see that WTXF, WNYW, and WTVT (to name just three) all use VERY different takes on the look. WNYW is basically Fox News Channel local; WTXF's set is smaller, warmer, and the graphics are considerably toned down; WTVT's graphics are completely different and the set is modified considerably.

Even the generic parts are done well. Give credit to Fox - they obviously know the importance of music in their branding, and the O&O package most stations are now using is very well done and executed. I would rather have this theme than the three constantly repeating notes that made up the previous WTXF/WNYW theme.

As for NBC - that's probably the other extreme. That was basically a money saving move (what isn't these days with them?), and it shows. The Arthouse stuff (particularly story graphics) are graceless; half of the opens do not fit the music and soundtrack at all; and other elements at these stations haven't been changed and aren't aging well.

Since NBC went to their generic look, WCAU's look suffered considerably; since Fox went to its generic look, WTXF's look has improved greatly. Not all corporate looks are bad; you just have to look closely.

I give gusto to WSVN and KHON to not brand themselves "FOX 7" and "FOX 2."

Actually, from the time of their switch from NBC to Fox until about fall of 2004, KHON did brand as "Fox 2 - Hawaii's News Channel."

As for KTVU (Part 1): NTX, if you knew that the station wasn't an O&O...what was the point of your question?

As for KTVU (Part 2): They have a good thing going in San Francisco and some of the highest ratings in the nation because they aren't tabloid...good for them for bucking the trend.

KTVU Is, IMO and to quote Charlie Van Dyke and Ron Boltz, "The Number One Primetime Newscast in the Country!"

Besides, the Bay Area has absolutely no tolerance for crap when it coems local news, which is why all of their stations (even KRON for better or worse) are always doing what's right when it comes to local news.

I think people in the Bay Area would protest and boycott if FOX ever tried to penetrate the Bay Area, and If they did, I have a good feeling that the station would not attempt at the sensationalistic/tabolid style of news that other markets such as LA are used to.

Consider KGO, KNTV and KPIX...those stations are very highly regarded, while their counterparts (notably KCBS/WCBS/WBBM/KYW and KABC/WABC) are faltering. KABC in its coverage and newsworthiness, and WABC in terms of presentation and graphics. Though NBC affiliates across the board are doing very well, especially KNBC which seems to be the only news worth watching here in LA, and KNSD which enjoys a good rep in SD.

To make a point that there is more FOX stations in the U.S. that don't brand with FOX.

Well, ok, color me a b*tch.

Upon re-reading, I see now that you were referring to the last sentence of RSJenkins' post about KHON and WSVN rather than the part about KSTU and KTBC.

My most humblest apologies for taking you to task.

Archived