NFL Network

WAVY 10 Fan

I've seen the games, and as much as I am not a Bryant (or Greg) Gumbel fan, I have to admit that Gumbel has improved markedly as a play-by-play man.

Also, starting Thursday, NFL Network is supposed to be re-airing several original Super Bowl broadcasts, starting with S.B. XL. Hope they have the original GFX.

I really hope they can find an original broadcast of games I & II (the two with the original telecasts being considered "lost").

(BTW, S.B. is my shorthand for Super Bowl)

Guest Former Member 207

First off, on a side note, if you have access to HBO's Video-On-Demand service, they have a documentary of the first Super Bowl, played between the Packers and Chiefs at the Los Angeles Coliseum. I'm not sure if it's going to air real soon on any of the HBO channels, but I'm sure it would air closer to Super Bowl time.

You would think, at least with SB I, that in the archives of CBS and NBC (which both televised that game--each representative of the league each carried) they would have a copy of the game somewhere lying around.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks Bryant Gumbel is not made to do play-by-play. Why couldn't NFL Network scout someone younger who only has about a decade of play calling experience to get their foot in the door and maybe introduce a voice that most of this country has not heard before. I guess I was expecting a lot more out of NFL Network when I ditched cable for Dish Network (I didn't do it for NFL Network, I did it for price.). But it seems like other than the NFL Replays from the past Sunday the only other thing shown on the network is 15 reruns of NFL Total Access from the night before and Making the Squad: The (insert team here) Cheerleaders. I know that they are chronicoling every Super Bowl winner now with America's Game but I was expecting a lot more NFL Films documentaries, which I love to watch no matter when, but it seems like ESPN shows more NFL Films stuff than they do.

Time Warner and Bright House customers, NFL Network is not what it's all cracked up to be. Trust me.

You know before hearing of Gumbel I had the weirdest feeling that the stars were aligned for the 20-something sensation who's making heads turn in Lakers nation on play by play, and I'm talking about Spero Dedes.

Maybe the NFL will use their head next season and put Spero Dedes in the booth on the Thursday/Sunday night games. I think he did a superb job calling the Texas Bowl last week...a whole hell of a lot better than Bryant has been since Thanksgiving. He sucked that night, and was only mildly better last Saturday night for the Giants-Redskins game. Go Spero.

As someone who's matriculating into the field of sports play-by-play, it's awful to hear Bryant Gumbel call a game.

On the other hand, Spero Dedes does a great job with play-by-play (not even 30 years old!) and he should get a look next season if Gumbel gets the boot. On top of it all, I've heard Spero's a nice guy as well.

What's refreshing about Spero is that he's not from the cloth of nepotism like Joe Buck, Chip Caray, Thom Brennaman, et al. BTW, if you're scoring at home of those 3, I actually like Brennaman the most.

I believe Mr. Dedes is a Fordham alum which puts him in some prestigious company (Vin Scully and Mike Breen I believe among the many).

Gumbel wasn't that bad. It appears he was having more of a conversation with Collinsworth, rather than the traditional play-by-play/color commentator roles. It grew on me.

Kind of how I feel.

BTW, I remembered seeing them mention on an NFL Films broadcast that they heard someone say that the original films in the network libraries taped over that game with (get this) soap operas!

If that's true, it's no surprise that executive has never been heard from for 40 years.

EDITS (Response to jerseyfla):

1. They're only chronicling what they feel are the top 20.

2. I agree with you on wanting to see more NFL Films footage, but I've only see one or two NFL Films productions on the ESPN family of networks in the last few months.

3. I don't like it cluttered with Total Access either. After a while, you tend to tire of ESPN refugee Rich Eisen appearing on the network for over half of your broadcast day.

WAVY, I'm Timesin' ya for bringing up Eisen. I personally think he's not all that great. He really is a SportsCenter personality, which when he was at ESPN teamed with Stuart was actually solid. He made Stu bearable and he held his own. Flying as host, he's not all that solid. He is a little too prompter reliant and couldn't ad lib his way out of a paper bag.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

1. I did see parts of S.B. XL Friday afternoon.

2. I got to record most of Super Bowl XXII ("The Quarter") last night on my DVD Recorder (BTW, it's Magnavox). I didn't get all of the 2nd half (partly because I was not certain I could get much of it on DVD), but over the weekend, I intend to transfer footage of that game's final scoring drive from the original VHS to DVD. It was nice to see it remastered so well.

P.S.: My only complaint is that there were a LOT of commercials. This was part of the reason I didn't record much of the 2nd half.

Archived