Lovely Lucy Noland: botched procedure should serve as a warning

WXmanTim

KHOU-Houston anchor Lucy Noland underwent a photofacial dermatology procedure, in January, to remove a couple of unwanted freckles.

What she got was second degree burns on her left cheek. Wednesday, she appeard on-camera, without make-up, to show the damage and explain what happened.

The Houston Chronicle has the story.

More from Lucy Noland on KHOU.com

Damage photo of Lucy's left cheek.

M_IMAGE.1185a805c34.93.88.fa.d0.8cdbc2c.jpg

Folks better think twice about these quickie, so-called "lunchtime" procedures that promise results untold. Just this morning on "Good Morning America", I saw the case of these 2 women who went for quickie procedures with horrifying results. One woman had a big knot on her forehead from where she tried to get Botox for some wrinkles. She ended up having to grow bangs to cover her forehead, and it ruined her wedding.

(Soapbox moment, sorry but I have to...)

Let this be a lesson >> Anyone considering any of these quickie procedures (whether it's Botox injections, laser vision correction, or whatever kind of facial treatments), as the KHOU story mentions, it can't be stressed enough: do your homework, do your homework, do your homework. You make DARN sure you know full well what you are getting yourself into, before going through with this. Lucy was lucky, doctors said she would heal. There are thousands if not millions of others who aren't so lucky.

(end soapbox moment)

Are the markings permanent?

Thankfully no. Not for her, at least.

Could you imagine having surgery and going to a person who wasn't a doctor? Or to someone who doesn’t have a license to perform a procedure? It happens every day right here in Texas, legally. What I'm talking about is laser surgery and I found out the hard way that this light therapy has a very dark side. A few weeks ago, I went in to get some freckles removed. The result? I was left burned so badly that I couldn't work for a week. From the bright lights of the studio to the bright lights of a photo facial. The procedure looks and sounds safe enough. The machines can do amazing things. Remove sun damage, reverse rosacea and acne and make your skin look and act younger. But... "It's capable of doing some very dramatic things to improve the appearance of the skin, but also it's capable of causing burn injuries,” said Dr. John Wolf of the Baylor College of Medicine. That’s exactly what happened to me. Second degree burns striping my entire face. You know, it's still scary to look at, but here's what's really frightening -- what happened to me is compared to others, mild. I'm lucky because doctors say I'm going to heal. Others are not so lucky. And, it's all from a little procedure that I thought was nothing.

Archived