New WGN Sports graphics

Spring Rubber

For today's Cubs opener, WGN Sports launched new graphics that feature a new "WGN Sports HD logo to emphasize their HD broadcasts. The color scheme has gone from red, white, and black to medium blue and white with heavy usage of blue swirls to accentuate the graphics. It's beautiful, don't get me wrong, but I'm not particularly a fan of the new scoring bar at the top of the screen. IMO, it's too tall vertically, drawing attention away from the action on the field. I think they could have made it a little smaller and more subtle. The other thing that irks me is the huge swirl going down the entire side of the screen when they show a simple, small bullpen graphic. Other than that, I like what little of it I've seen so far (I just started watching); it's good to finally have an entire graphics package made for HD instead of an old one that was modified for HD.

Sorry I don't have any pictures; I didn't record this telecast. Maybe I'll record the next one and get pics if no one else does it.

I was flipping channels and came across a Sox game on WCIU (produced by WGN), and I'm fairly certain that the graphics were still blue. It seems the whole idea of color changing for different teams was abandoned (for good, who knows?) after the 2002 season.

In all seriousness, the graphics suck. Definitely not Market 3 quality, maybe market 100ish, but definitely not acceptable for a Chicago station. I've seen better on CBS 2.

In all seriousness, the graphics suck. Definitely not Market 3 quality, maybe market 100ish, but definitely not acceptable for a Chicago station. I've seen better on CBS 2.

The thing is you have to look at sports graphics differently. These are more visually appealing than the graphics for Comcast Sportsnet, or the really bland (and somewhat dated) ones from FSN. Overall in my opinion, WGN did a nice job with these new sports graphics especially since the sports department probably doesn't have the budget like CBS, NBC, FOX, and ESPN do with their good graphics.

I don't really understand the complaints. IMO, these new graphics are beautiful, and they even tweaked their scoring graphic to make it look nicer for the first away game in HD tonight. Hopefully it stays the same when they get back home.

Archived