Favorite stations for News

Guest Mak

WALA in Mobile has always been my favorite for news. Since the station switched its NBC affiliation with WPMI in 1996, WALA has been very much the same in the news department. In spite of the ownership changes (SF Broadcasting, Emmis, LIN Television) and a new building (after almost 50 years in downtown Mobile), WALA's former promise of reporting "more news, more often" has never dwindled.

• 2 weeks later...

WWL in New Orleans is my choice for news. Everything about this station is rock solid and the replacements the station brought in after Katrina are meshing well with the veterans.

The best damn Saints coverage in town. WWL was all over the Saints/Bears playoff game.

I don't know if I can wait until next year for another Dawn Brown victory dance... oh the pain of withdrawals. :D

matt.

Nationally

Miami

WSVN-TV (Fox)

I beg to differ. My station to watch the news recently is none other than the One & Only Local 10 WPLG. Ever since this:

It brought my faith back in journalistic credibility.

Haven't seen this much integrity at 'PLG since the late 90s when they lost Oprah!!!

Yes, I am aware that Laurie Jennings did work at 'SVN along with Kelley Mitchell who does talk radio now. But besides the point, PLG cares about it's viewers, rather than just exploit for ratings. [Except those restaurant stories they do during sweeps.]

The best damn Saints coverage in town. WWL was all over the Saints/Bears playoff game.

So was WLOX covering the Mississippi Coast angle.

But do you think the New Orleans stations should establish bureaus in Biloxi or Gulfport, since they're seen on cable (it has been that way since the '70s)? That'll give them wider coverage.

Jonathan Allen

Archived