New AM Show in South Florida

first on fox

Interesting nugget in this TVWeek article:

In South Florida, Tribune’s CW affiliate, WSFL-TV, is moving into the company’s Sun-Sentinel newspaper building. The plan is to leverage the news off the paper’s Web site for a morning show.

According to Mr. Michaels, it will incorporate a “very high-tech but very slick look, not all that expensive, but repurposing the very expensive newsgathering that we already done for a completely different look and feel.

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/04/tribune_stations_prop_up_saggi.php

Other interesting info:

In Seattle, he said, a lineup shuffle earlier this year already has paid off for KCPQ-TV. The Fox affiliated-station carries MyNetworkTV programming after Fox programming.

By pushing the MyNetwork lineup back by an hour and putting news at 9 p.m., KCPQ has become “the first Fox station that Tribune has that has kind of broken out of the pack,” Mr. Michaels said. “We have stronger news, are winning in prime and … for the first time are No. 1 in billing in Seattle.”

WGN is to be “relaunched” in May, said Mr. Michaels, who characterized the superstation as a huge opportunity for the company.

WGN is to be “relaunched” in May, said Mr. Michaels, who characterized the superstation as a huge opportunity for the company.

I don't like the sound of that. They seem to minimize any signs that it is WGN (ie. the bug now emphasizes the "superstation" part and has the "WGN" part in really tiny letters. Do you think they will ditch the WGN news? I'm not worried about the baseball games, they probably bring in the most viewers for them.

Guest Former Member 207

I've been noticing that as well. I read, even before Zell's takeover of Tribune, that they wanted make Superstation WGN into much more of a traditional basic cable network, like USA, FX, TNT, and what TBS has become. I hate to jump on the speculation bandwagon, but I can see Tribune completely removing the "WGN" brand entirely...especially of its Chicago-centric programming (the news, sports, etc.) in the few years, if not sooner.

The goal is for the new show to be a fast-paced, personality-driven, nontraditional news and information format. The emphasis will be on local content, much of it supplied by the Sun-Sentinel editorial staff. A substantial Internet component is planned. It will be broadcast from the Sun-Sentinel newsroom in downtown Fort Lauderdale.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/lifestyle/sfl-flztvshow0424sbapr24,0,1727300.column

Archived