My9 News still using Beta tape?

IceManNYR

I notice on My9 News there are still video tape drop outs on all animation intros and b-roll playback.

Do they have bad decks or is it the tape being used?

Just now the Viper 3D intro ran and it was full of drop outs with horizontal lines all over the video.

I would think by now they would be able to fix this problem or are they just going to wait till FOX5 and My9 ever go HD for news to upgrade equipment?

first, it is very unlikely they use Betacam tapes...it MAY be DVCPro, but in that market it wouldn't surprise me if they were a tapeless newsroom...and intros usually don't run off tapes, even if they were still linear.

maybe they were just having technical difficulties?

first, it is very unlikely they use Betacam tapes...it MAY be DVCPro, but in that market it wouldn't surprise me if they were a tapeless newsroom...

Believe it or not, much more of the FOX O&O newsrooms in the top markets are still using tape than you may think..

Going tapeless hasn't exactly been a company priority for a long time..

Fox 6 in Birmingham is still doing linear. We had a communications graduate from here (MS State) moved from the local CBS, WCBI, which is non-linear tape-less set-up to WBRC and linear (tape-to-tape) editing. We are taught both here at MS State.

first, it is very unlikely they use Betacam tapes...it MAY be DVCPro, but in that market it wouldn't surprise me if they were a tapeless newsroom...and intros usually don't run off tapes, even if they were still linear.

I know it sounds odd but it's not just last nights news cast.

The tape dropouts appear on all broadcasts for at least the last year.

I also thought it was odd that the dropouts were on the animated segment intros also cause I thought the playback source would be digital.

Next newscast I will record a sample of what is happening.

Archived