Channel 7 in San Diego

nbc9houston

The reason why I started this thread is related to DTV in San Diego and NOT about the upcoming Fox affiliation switch between XETV and KSWB. KNSD for nearly 20 years has been using cable channel 7 for its branding in addition to over-the-air channel 39. Currently KNSD's digital signal is on channel 40. KFMB is currently broadcasting its digital signal on UHF channel 55. But soon, the KFMB digital signal will move from 55 to 7.

http://www.cbs8.com/misc/hdtv/tech.php

Personally, I think that it would be more logical for KNSD to broadcast on digital 7 because it is on cable channel 7.

What do you think of it?

FCC won't let them, and I highly doubt KNSD would want to anyway. It's no use to them. I am wondering if they could get a waiver to remap to 7.1, 7.2 etc. but this would be unfair to stations like WBBH, KHNL, etc.

But then again, this would cause interference with KABC, because both stations are close to eachother, and on a clear day in Los Angeles, you could get KFMB and KGTV without cable.

The reason why I started this thread is related to DTV in San Diego and NOT about the upcoming Fox affiliation switch between XETV and KSWB. KNSD for nearly 20 years has been using cable channel 7 for its branding in addition to over-the-air channel 39. Currently KNSD's digital signal is on channel 40. KFMB is currently broadcasting its digital signal on UHF channel 55. But soon, the KFMB digital signal will move from 55 to 7.

http://www.cbs8.com/misc/hdtv/tech.php

Personally, I think that it would be more logical for KNSD to broadcast on digital 7 because it is on cable channel 7.

What do you think of it?

KFMB is already broadcasting on digital channel 7(they have since early March). Many residents of northern San Diego County were able to receive KABC via OTA, but ever since KFMB moved to channel 7, the reception of KABC in N. San Diego Co. has been bad. So to go with Ntropolis, I don't think that the F.C.C. will allow KNSD to broadcast on digital channel 7 or remap to 7, because as it stands right now, most people are confused on who is on what channel.

Once the digital conversion takes place, all over-the-air digital signals will automatically remap to their original analog designations, regardless of what channel they are actually broadcasting on.

Despite broadcasting on digital-ota-7, digital receivers will still display KFMB as broadcasting on Channel 8 automatically.

As for KNSD, their digital-ota signal will still remap to Channel 39 (they apparently chose to keep digital-40 *see more below). Channel 7 is nothing more than a cable-only designation and has nothing to do with the ota signal. Similar to WCNC-Charlotte being on ota-36 but identifying as "NBC 6" for so many years and KNTV-San Jose/San Francisco being on ota-11 but initially identifying as "NBC-3" after the affiliation swap.

*(I think I have this right, but if I don't someone correct me nicely, please) With the exception of analog VHF allocations on channels 2 - 6 and UHF 50 - 66, the former apparently being to low on the digital spectrum to efficiently support broadcasting and the latter being phased out entirely, television stations were given the choice of either keeping their original analog allocation (depending on any interference and then converting it to digital) or keeping their digital allocation (and returning the analog rights to the government). The digital TV spectrum spans digital channels 7 to 50 (with the continuing exception of channel 37, which is reserved for non-broadcast radio-telescope space exploration worldwide)

For example: KNSD is licensed for analog 39 and digital 40. They were given a choice of keeping analog 39, converting it to digital and giving up digital 40 or keeping digital 40 and giving up analog 39. They apparently chose to stay with digital-40, but PSIP will re-map to 39 for anyone picking up the station with an antenna

Once the digital conversion takes place, all over-the-air digital signals will automatically remap to their original analog designations, regardless of what channel they are actually broadcasting on.

Despite broadcasting on digital-ota-7, digital receivers will still display KFMB as broadcasting on Channel 8 automatically.

As for KNSD, their digital-ota signal will still remap to Channel 39 (they apparently chose to keep digital-40 *see more below). Channel 7 is nothing more than a cable-only designation and has nothing to do with the ota signal. Similar to WCNC-Charlotte being on ota-36 but identifying as "NBC 6" for so many years and KNTV-San Jose/San Francisco being on ota-11 but initially identifying as "NBC-3" after the affiliation swap.

*(I think I have this right, but if I don't someone correct me nicely, please) With the exception of analog VHF allocations on channels 2 - 6 and UHF 50 - 66, the former apparently being to low on the digital spectrum to efficiently support broadcasting and the latter being phased out entirely, television stations were given the choice of either keeping their original analog allocation (depending on any interference and then converting it to digital) or keeping their digital allocation (and returning the analog rights to the government). The digital TV spectrum spans digital channels 7 to 50 (with the continuing exception of channel 37, which is reserved for non-broadcast radio-telescope space exploration worldwide)

For example: KNSD is licensed for analog 39 and digital 40. They were given a choice of keeping analog 39, converting it to digital and giving up digital 40 or keeping digital 40 and giving up analog 39. They apparently chose to stay with digital-40, but PSIP will re-map to 39 for anyone picking up the station with an antenna

You're right for the most part. But FCC isn't going to auctioned off Channel 2 through 6 because they're low beamed. They will however be auctioning off Digital Channels 52-69. I believe WPVI will be going to Digital Channel 6 and WMC in Memphis will be going on Digital Channel 5 once the digital transition is completed. Even though many stations will be on their different channel allotments, through the PSIP, digital channels can be remapped to their old NTSC analog channel allotments.

KFMB is broadcasting on digital channel 7 until next February, they were on digital channel 55 but they gave it up early to Qualcomm (most likely monetary incentive was given in return). They will go to digital channel 8 next year after the switch is made. This explains it all, from KFMB's website...

http://www.cbs8.com/dtv

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you recieve KFMB-TV, Channel 8's "Over The Air" Digital Broadcast: KFMB-TV, Channel 8, is pleased to announce that KFMB-DT, will be switching channels for our over the air digital broadcast from UHF 55 to VHF 7. We changed to Channel 7 on March 14, 2008. If you receive our digital signal over the air, you will be required to retune your receiver.

In order to be in compliance with FCC guidelines, KFMB-DT has reduced its power on VHF Channel 7 affecting our coverage area. On February 18th 2009, KFMB-DT will broadcast on VHF Channel 8 and power will increase to the maximum allowed by the Federal Communications Commission.

If you receive our digital signal from cable or satellite: No changes are necessary to continue receiving our digital broadcasts.

Archived