Media General Layoffs

tyrannical bastard

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6563217.html?industryid=47169

At least 10 stations are affected, including WCMH, WJAR, WSPA & WCBD. The cuts range from about 1-8 people per affected station.

EDIT: WCMH made visible cuts including morning anchor Andy Dominianni, and the "other" half of their "storm team", Dave Trygar. Employees from engineering, promotions and their art department (which is being centralized in Richmond) were let go.

Corporate laid off about 20 people several weeks ago.

The only Media General station that I am familiar with is Roanoke, VA's WSLS channel 10. Wonder how many cuts will happen there?

I know ratings wise, WSLS has pretty much been #2 though a few years back they came not too far from catching up with long time leader WDBJ channel 7. That is until WSLS fired local hometown grown weatherman Jamie Singleton when a third party uploaded a nude pic of him on someone's My Space page. Jamie also had a history of drug use but WSLS claims it was that nude pic that got him fired. What hurt WSLS more than the firing itself was the statement that Media General gave that Jamie's actions was "offensive to our community" and how Jamie violated the station's moral clause in their contracts they signed ( more and more stations are doing away with those clauses BTW..but WSLS I'm not surprised they still had one ).

Pretty much WSLS made it seem that Roanoke was this "deeply religious community" and everyone shared that view. .I know a lot of local viewers who took it as that.

At the time of all of this ( Fall 2006 ), a good friend of mine worked for WDBJ and I remember him telling me that if WSLS ( Media General ) really cared about the "morals of our community", why didn't WSLS do something about that Mountain Bear Madness event ( a gay sex party ) that was taken place around the same time right there in Roanoke? Most of the community knew about it and so did WSLS and WDBJ. Even though WSLS spent big bucks beefing up their news, I still dont think they recovered after Singleton and that "morals statement".

Guess the moral ( sorry for the pun there LOL ) of this story is that a TV ( or even a radio ) station really shouldn't go out and make a statement assuming that all of their city is full of good morals. There is an open dark side to everything.

Archived