WREG to get new graphics?

Jterry

I noticed this at Noon, got a cap seconds ago. WREG is using new graphics for their WeatherNet system. Maybe a sign of change coming to their graphics, though I haven't noticed anything else using this design as of yet.

Here is that screenshot...

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping an old Topic...

WREG hasn't done any updating to graphics since this post as the Feb book gets underway, but I did notice this same graphics scheme appeared on a new school closing system they debuted late last week when a winter storm occurred in Memphis...

• 1 month later...

I hate to bump an old topic yet again but I just saw another sign of potential change in WREG's graphics. It was a new mapping system they were using, that had widely different banners than they've used before or even compared to the pics above. Maybe like the others apparently are, its an independent in-house system that they're using to make these graphics, though admittedly this has a bit of a GO look (who supplied WREG's current graphics). Will wait to see if maybe this one is a true sign of a new graphics on the way...

• 3 weeks later...

WREG sure is taking its time (if this is true). I like WREG's graphics currently. Not a lot of animation with them, but they still manage to look really nice. The new music fits them pretty well too.

LOL. Very much taking their time, if true of course. The current package is right at 4 years old (It debuted in April 2003 IIRC). Perhaps the sell-off is delaying or slowing the process, I'm not sure. I do like their current package quite a bit and the new Gari music works very well with it, but I think its time for something different. It would be nice to get a set overhaul in addition to graphics, and ideally at the same time get an HD conversion, but I would doubt it in the near term given the sell-off and the fact that they modified a lot of the set within the last year and a half.

Still watching out nonetheless. I guess it might be possible to see something in the next week or two as sweeps get underway.

• 1 month later...

After months of speculation, WREG has introduced their new graphics package with their 4 PM newscast. Uses a similar design to previous screencaps posted. Unfortunately my capture card is on the fritz but will try to get a workaround and post something shortly.

Here's a few caps: Sorry about somewhat poor quality, it had to be taken with a digital camera of the TV itself. All of the graphics are animated - heavily I might add, which is a bit of a distraction because they keep up the L3 during the entire story. Also, the bug is a little too far to the right, it covers up a bit of the text areas on the left.

2000742655304280537_rs.jpg

2000756453488721636_rs.jpg

2000746677743543462_rs.jpg

2000701844759377937_rs.jpg

2000791734678318949_rs.jpg

2000798179913749618_rs.jpg

2000711012468305906_rs.jpg

2000757045224368833_rs.jpg

The new graphics are decent, but my only complaint is that the L3s are just too damn big and tacky. Other than that, not bad for something done in-house. It's an improvement, IMO, but it's also a step down from their previous graphics visual-wise.

Here's a few more. WREG has already corrected the bug, though now the time/temp is off with it. They're also still using their old 'Live' bug among a few other things. Also so far there are no changes to the cuts of Target News they are using.

2003389265851597744_rs.jpg

2003388475081386160_rs.jpg

2003388138688761897_rs.jpg

2003385082462782015_rs.jpg

2003301710359189469_rs.jpg

The new graphics are decent, but my only complaint is that the L3s are just too damn big and tacky. Other than that, not bad for something done in-house. It's an improvement, IMO, but it's also a step down from their previous graphics.

There are a few aspects that I like, others are tacky and distracting to me as you mention. But its a decent package for being done in-house, which it very likely was.

Not, bad but i like their other package better. Did anybody notice the new l3 on the weather channel. They use it for all the shows, and it changes colors like for the evening edition it's purple, and for Weekend Now it is blue, and light yellow. It looks pretty good.

The font size for the slugs in the L3s are too big. Plus, the animation on the L3s is very distracting. In fact, their choice of font in general needs to be reconsidered. Other than that, the new graphics look nice.

One other note: they FINALLY changed the OTS boxes. They've used the same style for about 10 years, even before the [ever so annoying] "Celebrate 2000" campaign.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice update. They could pass for a Fox O&O if you ask me. It's also nice to see that they finally have a logo bug instead of the time/temp only bug. Did they implement talent openings?

It does pass for a Fox O&O, especially considering WHBQ is one (for now at least)! I will say the graphics have grown on me - they have slowed down the animations greatly so they're not nearly as distracting, though the fonts are still too big for my taste.

They haven't implemented talent opens with this package, yet at least. They've had a lot of shuffling around in the past year, they're just now getting stable again there, so perhaps we'll see them return soon. There are still a few elements of their old GO package being used, including some of their weather elements.

The text in the new L3s is too close to the bug IMO.

That was corrected quite quickly actually, by their 5 PM newscast that day (those screencaps were from 4 and 4:30) the bug was moved to the left so there is no overlap anymore between it and the L3 Text.

Archived