ABC 7's Andy Shaw

lazynetjunkie

I'm surprised nobody else around here has brought this topic up yet since it was a Feder topic a few weeks ago..

ABC 7's political reporter Andy Shaw plans to quit ABC 7 (and the TV news business in general) sometime right after the election. Some of his future plans include writing, doing some TV and talk radio work, teaching, and starting a political consulting business. As some here may already know, Andy Shaw is known for losing his temper on-air a couple times. Once at the Democratic National Convention (which can be viewed at: http://youtube.com/watch?v=plboBPJWFDs) a few years ago and another time at the Illinois State Fair (2004, I believe) when some kids/teens were behind him during a live shot waving, screaming, and making noise and Andy gets angry, turns around, and yells "BE QUIET!! I'M TRYING TO WORK HERE!!" to the kids/teens.

Just kind of curiousity, what are your ideas on his replacement as political reporter? Someone in-house or from another station?

I've heard someone mention (not here at TVNT but elsewhere) luring in Carol Marin from NBC 5 but she's pretty happy over there with the minimal hours she wants to work. How about CBS 2's Mike Flannery or even Jay Levine (he doesn't report politics however much of his reports are related to politics)? What are your ideas?

IMO, Channel 7 will most likely hire someone outside of Chicago and not bring someone from the competitive stations. Ben Bradley (even though I don't think he would be the best at it like Andy was) would come close enough to be a possible replacement of Andy as a political reporter. But if not Ben, their best bet is to find someone out of town.

At this rate, No one can replace Andy. And after November, he will be missed at Channel 7.

I don't think WLS will go outside the station or market to fill this important position. I would imagine that Paul Meincke, Charles Thomas, Ben Bradley or even Alan Krashesky being on the list to replace Andy as far as those within the station. I think that Dick Johnson (WMAQ), Dane Placko (WFLD) and Jay Levine (WBBM) would be good choices as well.

I don't think WLS will go outside the station or market to fill this important position. I would imagine that Paul Meincke, Charles Thomas, Ben Bradley or even Alan Krashesky being on the list to replace Andy as far as those within the station. I think that Dick Johnson (WMAQ), Dane Placko (WFLD) and Jay Levine (WBBM) would be good choices as well.

Question, why would Alan would be a political reporter and he's anchoring the 4 & 6pm weekday newscast? And Dick Johnson left 7 so he could be at the anchor chair on 5, but that didn't last long. Personally, I wouldn't want Dick Johnson or Jay Levine to come back to Channel 7. Let them stay where they are. Dane Placko is cool, but not good for Channel 7. It would be way better for WLS to either use one of their own current reporters or get an outsider, but not a reporter on a competitive station in the same market.

While Krashesky is, without question, a long shot; you never know what may happen. He already host WLS's "NewsViews" political/current affairs segment on the Sunday Morning News and despite his anchoring duties, often travels the country/world covering the Roman Catholic Church. Given his experience (26 yrs. @ WLS), he should, at the very least, be considered for the spot.

The political scene/beat here is very unique and you just can't hand off your political coverage to an outsider which is why hiring someone outside Chicago isn't likely (unless of course they have some connection to the city in some way- born here, raised here, etc...).

Archived