Big changes for Trib's WDCW...

tw-804

From DCRTV.com...

Big Changes For 50: Rebranding, New Digs, Newscast? - 7/23 - First on DCRTV. Look for Tribune's Channel 50/WDCW to rebrand itself from "The CW Washington" to "DC50." With a website change to DC50TV.com. We also hear that the CW affiliate will be moving from its current northwest Wisconsin Avenue digs to Tribune's downtown DC news bureau. WDCW has already shifted its entire master control operations to a Tribune "hub" in Indianapolis, with sales, accounting, traffic, and promotion making the across-DC move. Also, we hear that WDCW is planning to launch a daily newscast - not yet sure if it'll be morning or evening. We told you yesterday that the station is debuting a weekly news talk show with DC radio veteran Chris Core on 8/30. Is Tribune preparing WDCW for the rumored collapse of the low-rated CW network? Stay tuned.....

I like this, but I doubt WPIX will change until the CW kicks the bucket.

I have the same feeling for WGN but I wouldn't doubt that 'GN would drop the refs before 'PIX does.

As for Channel 50, dropping all CW references is not a shock. Starting a newscast for the first time is a complete shock. I wonder if Grant Rampy would be one of the anchors. LOL

Well honestly,

ITS ABOUT TIME..

I know its been speculated for years that WDCW (WBDC back then) would get a newscast. At one point it was even on their website that they would get a newscast within a matter of months (2000/2001). But I am glad to see WDCW doing big things. WDCW is pretty popular with ppl up here anyway. Personally I always enjoyed it more than FOX 5 part deux...oops I mean My 20.

I'm not familar with the DC market but do you think WDCW will be able to make a dent in Fox 5's viewship at ten. I've seen new newscasts start up at 9 or 10 and they always never seem to make that big of an impact on viewship of stations which have had a 9 or 10 newscast for a long time.

Oh I can guarantee that FOX 5 News will crush DC 50 News (or whatever it will be called). FOX 5 is a powerhouse at 10 usually beating the other stations primetime programming.

But I can't deny in saying that it will be a refreshing change from their 10:00 news.

I doubt that Tribune would start up a news department on channel 50. This isn't the same situation as San Diego where they are acquiring a big 4 network.

It's much more likely that Tribune will strike a deal to have one of the other stations (NBC 4?) produce a news program for them.

Changes are underway at many of the Tribune affiliates. KPLR just got a new website and is planning to adopt a modified logo, more similar to the WPIX logo minus the "the" in the C of CW. Also new L3's may be in the work to coincide with the new website. Expect many CW affiliates to get refreshed sites. Rumor has it there was a big meeting in Chicago for all the web departments of all the Tribune affiliates to discuss new websites and new ways to generate ad revenue through websites. Also under consideration in 2009 are new newscasts (i.e. noon, 5 & 6) for some stations, especially WPIX. Right now Tribune claims to have some of the lowest operating costs for any company, so it'll be interesting to see how it manages staffing for the new operation. It seems the company is piloting different programs at different stations. We'll see what this means for DCW.

I think the KPLR site could form a basis for KSWB's new site. They could keep the existing site and add the fox branding but a KPLR derived site could be good for them. Who knows.

I think the KPLR site could form a basis for KSWB's new site. They could keep the existing site and add the fox branding but a KPLR derived site could be good for them. Who knows.

word is that KPLR's site is supposed to be the new model for trib's website in tv and newspaper.

• 3 weeks later...

I love that DC50 logo. Because it does look like it was designed in 1982. Actually, it looks VERY much like a Grant Broadcasting System designed logo ala WGBS Philly 57, which is probably why I like it so much.

I'm assuming this trend away from CW whitewashing is to re-establish local identities as much as it is a potential distancing measure from CW. Which is fine by me.

I'd say I'd want PHL 17 back, but we already have that name back (albeit in homogenized MyNetworkTV form)

Archived