Toslink vs. Coaxial Audio

rv65

What is a better connector for plugging in the cable box to the AMP. Toslink or Coaxial. I'm looking to get some real surround sound from the DVR box to the amp? Any help would be great.

uhm, Fiber vs. Copper...what the hell do you think will be the clearest?

As much as Nate thinks he knows about this subject, the difference isn't that clear. The OP was most likely referring to digital coaxial audio, which uses a single cable running from a source to a home theater receiver and has RCA jacks on either end. Both optical and coaxial cables carry the signals in the same formats--usually S/PDIF or PCM--and both cables sound the same. Coax is a wire, so it may be more susceptible to RF interference, but the cables are usually shielded to the point where this isn't an issue.

A coax cable is usually better suited for long cable runs, so if the distance between your cable box and receiver is pretty far, then go for the digital coax. But if you're like most people, your set-top and receiver are usually side by side. Optical cables used to be more expensive than their digital coaxial counterparts, but recently I've found that the latter is more expensive at places like Best Buy. If you don't need it today, head over to Monoprice as that is the best place to get good quality cables without the high markup of consumer electronic stores.

Oh, and a word of the wise: DO NOT BUY MONSTER CABLE.

As much as Nate thinks he knows about this subject, the difference isn't that clear. The OP was most likely referring to digital coaxial audio, which uses a single cable running from a source to a home theater receiver and has RCA jacks on either end. Both optical and coaxial cables carry the signals in the same formats--usually S/PDIF or PCM--and both cables sound the same. Coax is a wire, so it may be more susceptible to RF interference, but the cables are usually shielded to the point where this isn't an issue.

A coax cable is usually better suited for long cable runs, so if the distance between your cable box and receiver is pretty far, then go for the digital coax. But if you're like most people, your set-top and receiver are usually side by side. Optical cables used to be more expensive than their digital coaxial counterparts, but recently I've found that the latter is more expensive at places like Best Buy. If you don't need it today, head over to Monoprice as that is the best place to get good quality cables without the high markup of consumer electronic stores.

Oh, and a word of the wise: DO NOT BUY MONSTER CABLE.

I have been over-ruled. :puke: I should have noted that I have a fiber (Toslink) set up on my surround system, and I have only positive reviews about the sound quality.

• 1 month later...

I have recently obtained a premium toslink cable at monoprice. A 6 ft cable for under 5 bucks was a good deal. It's a higher quality then the monster cables. Cheaper than the low end ones at the big electronic stores.

Archived