WCNC-TV Charlotte Rebrands Itself ......

TennTV1983

I actually like the new logo and the use of their channel number again, even though the font screams 1989, which I'm a fan of the somewhat of a retro look.

EDIT: I've noticed from their videos from their website that they're now using Tower v.2. They should've went with that when they debuted the Belo graphics last year.

They've had a real identity crisis the past few years :) Sticking with the call letters would make the most sense. I don't know the cable penetration around Charlotte, but there's a lot of rural area, so "6" probably confused people who were OTA. (Although it works in Palm Springs, Ft. Myers, etc.)

I wonder when stations will learn to try fixing content instead of branding to try and solve ratings problems?

The change over was likely a long-range plan by the station to re-introduce the Channel 36 station ID. IMO, WPLG did this similarly when they dropped their "Eyewitness News" moniker for "Channel 10 News" before moving over to "Local 10." You do away with one before you introduce the other, so the first is somewhat forgotten by viewers at large.

Step one: re-introduce call letters ( the "WCNC 6 News" period).

Step two: drop the "Channel 6" branding ("WCNC News/Carolina's News Connection/Channel" period)

Step three: re-introduce the OTA number (and/or new branding).

Voila! You get a new branding without the hassels of folks thinking you've done something radical.

Is this a joke? The gaphics look to be an obvious rip-off of KGW (well, the lower-thirds at least).

Considering both KGW and WCNC are Belo stations and they both use the standardized Belo graphics package, I think that's the point.

Ew. If they're gonna have an ugly logo like that they should have called it "

"

I liked the "Carolina's News Connection" look myself... sad to see it go. I guess another case of "we aren't out of last place yet, let's change everything."

Archived