WTAE Bringing Back Hello Pittsburgh

takingaction4you

WTAE is currently running the original Hello Pittsburgh image campaign as a part of their celebration for 50 years on television. This is the first I've seen of them and they look nice and I think it's a good way to look back at their history as well.

Here's the one I saw.

[yt]B4VhUQXlJVs[/yt]

Have any other stations done something similar (like playing old promos regularly) for their 50th anniversaries?

WITI did, but the promos they aired seemed to be edited for the modern-day commercial spot.

Except one night, they aired the complete, seemingly endless version of this spot, I remember it showing their new building under construction a couple times. I didn't get a chance to record it. :)

Did Patrice King Brown ever work at 'TAE?

There's a woman in the "Hello Pittsburgh" ad wearing a yellow dress that looks like her and also in the "Channel 4 Dinner" ad.

Nope. She went right from promotions to Pittsburgh 2Day.

Did Patrice King Brown ever work at 'TAE?

There's a woman in the "Hello Pittsburgh" ad wearing a yellow dress that looks like her and also in the "Channel 4 Dinner" ad.

Yeah really! I thought the exact same thing when I saw it yesterday.

Have any other stations done something similar (like playing old promos regularly) for their 50th anniversaries?

Global Calgary (CICT) aired their old "Hello Calgary" promos when they celebrated their 50th in 2004:

(Florence Warner vocals)

(Frank Gari vocals)

So did Seven Melbourne (HSV-7) in 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JHghaEYoEg

Heh - WISN loves to pull out the Hello Milwaukee spots every couple of years... they don't need to wait for an anniversary. They are rather proud of that campaign, and deservedly so - the sheer number of other stations who subsequently picked it up at one point or another proved how good it was.

As far as other stations, one that comes to my mind is WGME (formerly WGAN) in Portland, ME. A number of years back, that station reprised its "Hello" promo for a time.

Believe it or not, WEWS did a revamped Hello Cleveland just a few years ago. This time, under the name "NewsChannel5".

Heh - WISN loves to pull out the Hello Milwaukee spots every couple of years... they don't need to wait for an anniversary. They are rather proud of that campaign, and deservedly so - the sheer number of other stations who subsequently picked it up at one point or another proved how good it was.

I vaguely remember an orchestra or something playing the Hello Milwaukee song for WISN's anniversary or something similar. I remember watching it awhile back. It would be cool to see WTAE do something like that.

Speaking of that, does anyone have a link to that video? I'd love to see it again.

I vaguely remember an orchestra or something playing the Hello Milwaukee song for WISN's anniversary or something similar. I remember watching it awhile back. It would be cool to see WTAE do something like that.

Speaking of that, does anyone have a link to that video? I'd love to see it again.

That was the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra and Chorus under the direction of Doc Severinsen back in Christmas 2004.

According to Gari Communications site, the HELLO campaign was originally created for WTAE.

According to Gari Communications site, the HELLO campaign was originally created for WTAE.

Hmm. I was going by several other websites, including Wikipedia, that claim that the package was created for WISN. My mistake, I guess.

(Part of me still questions that it WASN'T created for WISN, particularly with Frank Gari himself doing that version. My guess is that it probably was probably done almost simultaneously for both clients, making it a toss-up whom you attribute the "original client" title to.)

WTAE is airing more classic promos. One of them is the old "Joe Said It Would" promo from the early 1990's featuring longtime meteorologist Joe DeNardo and the other one features Paul Long and Don Cannon and how they work so well together...well, sort of.

Here are the promos:

"Joe Said It Would":

"A Little Off" featuring Paul Long and Don Cannon:

(Part of me still questions that it WASN'T created for WISN, particularly with Frank Gari himself doing that version. My guess is that it probably was probably done almost simultaneously for both clients, making it a toss-up whom you attribute the "original client" title to.)

Well, that could be. WISN and WTAE have been sisters forever. I doubt the fact that Frank Gari singing one of the versions on WISN has anything to do with who the original client was and more to do with the style and pace that the station was going for in the promo.

In any event, we can attribute Hello to Hearst, I guess. :D

It seems to me that WISN commissioned the version sung by Frank Gari. Of all the versions I've heard, it's the only one that features the backup singers singing the chorus. Every other version uses only "touch the sky" (and in the

"neighbors passing by"). These phrases don't mention a city, and they sound identical to the backup vocals from the Milwaukee promo. (Something else somewhat interesting about that is if you listen closely in the Milwaukee version, you can faintly hear the backup singers whisper "see you touch the sky" - something that was cut off from other versions.) In addition, no matter what city/state is featured, the rhythm of the instrumental track goes along with "Hel-lo Mil-wauk-ee".

Just to build on what AceHawk447 said, in 2004 WGME brought back "Hello Maine" in a few different ways - they had the newer arrangement (as used by WEWS in 2002) sung by Florence Warner with new visuals, an instrumental version (pretty much relegated to late night/early morning), as well as a :60 and a :30 with

Archived