Little Station That Could: WBOC-TV in HD

first on fox

But Draper is far from complacent. Instead, he has invested over $7 million to create a new 11,000-square-foot news production facility, the NewsPlex, which WBOC will use to launch high-definition newscasts next week. Planning for the new studio began three years ago as HD programming started to take off. Designed by The FX Group of Orlando, Fla., and integrated by The Systems Group of Hoboken, N.J., the NewsPlex features an innovative rotating anchor desk set in the middle of an open, working newsroom.

moar: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6588019.html

pics: http://www.wboc.com/global/Category.asp?c=143878

It's like real life FTA - A chopper and HD Newsplex in market 6,000.

EDIT: Aparently $13 million dollars doesn't buy you a photog that can hold a camera steady...

That gave me a nice laugh.

WBOC, for the last few years, has had the production capabilities of a major market. Compared to their competition in Salisbury, channel 47, which has always been outmanned in news, WBOC looks like almost a major market station, with a helicopter, nice weather graphics, and Sunday morning news.

Amazing for a station that didn't even have local color cameras until 1974-5.

Excuse me? I work at a station 3 markets below that and we have a pretty nice set thank you.

I've actually seen the anchor desk at KTVA in Anchorage and I must say it is pretty nice. Some stations that are in higher markets than Anchorage have pretty bad sets. WTAJ-TV in the Altoona/Johnstown, PA market (#99) has an OK set now, but from 1995 until January of this year, their set was pretty bad with a gray bland backdrop and it just looked terrible. So I'm not saying that all stations in small markets have bad anchor desks and I like your anchor desk A LOT more than your competitor's desk over at ABC Alaska News!! :)

Archived