WGN News @ 9 tonight--now (8/20)

312newswannabe

WOW...wtf is happening there? OTS graphics not matching the scripts/story...teleprompter obviously not working...anchors not looking into the cameras...Mark saying HOW instead of WHO...jesus, pay some attention...Allison not even knowing she was going to Denver for the convention on Sunday...and whats the deal w/ her lately? she's been looking rough...she threw it to antwan lewis in the field to see what "he is working on"...wtf? what kind of introduction is that? they've been sloppy all week...why not get Steve and Micah in there...they did GREAT while Allison was out on med leave earlier in the year, they have great chemistry and the ratings didn't go down...they're making the morning show look more professional than the 9...get your sh!t straight guys...

Looks like a classic case of "don't try to fix something if it isn't broken." WGN News was doing just fine with the successful, longtime team of Steve Sanders and Allison Payne. Never understood what the big deal was with Mark Suppelsa anyways. Hopefully they don't change anything with WGN Morning News, that is truly a hilarious show. I could do without all the fake laughing on it though. :)

I don't think that Allison should step down. Give her some time. She had a debilitating stroke and she is trying her hardest. If she feels that she is capable continuing in her capacity, let her show that to us. If not, let her decide to step down in her own way and in her own time. A little bit of slurred speak from a legend after a catastrophic event is something that people who truly care can deal with as she continues to heal. I think this is being blown way out of proportion.

aren't news anchors supposed to tell the news, not be the news?

from today's feder column:

TRACKING:

Anchor's cheering section

• • Chicago reporters covering the Democratic Convention in Denver were stunned to witness WGN-Channel 9's Allison Payne cheering and applauding for speakers Wednesday night while she was seated with the Illinois delegation in the Pepsi Center.

The veteran newswoman has been co-anchoring convention coverage for the Tribune Co.-owned station.

Earlier in the week, Payne was quoted in the Chicago Tribune apologizing to viewers for her bizarre performance on Channel 9's 9 p.m. newscast Aug. 21. "I was not drunk," she said.

She attributed her slurred speech and erratic

• 2 weeks later...

hopefully Allison gets better...In that Feder article, as well as one in the Trib, WGN mentions they have a back-up plan in case Allison isn't back for the start of their new "WGN Evening News," which starts Monday @ 5:30...I wonder who that plan involves? Do you think Micah would anchor 11:30-1pm, 5:30-6 and 9-10? She's a good fit at 9 now, but with the Noon show also expanding, that's a lot of anchoring...

hopefully Allison gets better...In that Feder article, as well as one in the Trib, WGN mentions they have a back-up plan in case Allison isn't back for the start of their new "WGN Evening News," which starts Monday @ 5:30...I wonder who that plan involves? Do you think Micah would anchor 11:30-1pm, 5:30-6 and 9-10? She's a good fit at 9 now, but with the Noon show also expanding, that's a lot of anchoring...

On some days, they've been using other female anchors like Dina Bair, Val Warner, Lourdes Duarte & even Julie Unruh to sub Micah on the Noon show, when Micah either does the 9pm show or she would be off that day. Since Micah subbed Allison during her short departure earlier this year, she could end up subbing her during both the 5:30 & 9pm shows, should Allison doesn't come back on Monday.

I hope when they do these series of tests, they will find the cause of her ministrokes and find the right treatment for her. I hope all the best for Allison.

Allison should step down (temporarily or permanentally depending on how serious her condition is). I think she should take some serious time off and get a full assessment of her overall health (I would imagine that is what's going to happen when she goes to the Mayo Clinic).

The side effects of her condition have begun to show on-air and I think, have started to tarnish her otherwise outstanding career at WGN. I can understand management leaving it up to her, but at the same time, both her and them have to do what is best for her health first and the news product second. I wish her all the best and hope for a good outcome once her treatment is over.

Allison's back!

From today's trib:

Channel 9's Payne to return Monday

By Phil Rosenthal | Tribune media columnist

9:48 PM CDT, September 14, 2008

WGN-Ch. 9 newscaster Allison Payne said Sunday night she has returned from Minnesota's Mayo Clinic, and plans to co-anchor the scheduled Monday debut of her station's 5:30 p.m. newscast, as planned.

"Everything turned out better than I expected," said Payne, who had gone to Mayo last week for a battery of tests to determine the best way to battle the residual effects of a series of mini-strokes that kept her off the air from January to April and led her to apologize to viewers last month in a Chicago Tribune interview for not seeming herself on a recent broadcast.

Payne, who has co-anchored WGN's marquee 9 p.m. news for 15 years, is to join 9 p.m. partner Mark Suppelsa on the 5:30 p.m. show.

Also Monday, Chicago Tribune-parent Tribune Co's WGN plans to extend its midday news, anchored by Steve Sanders and Micah Materre, to 90 minutes, beginning at 11:30 a.m.

Archived