WDJT to air special local program...

Weeters

... in High Definition.

http://www.cbs58.com/pages/harley/

Begin speculating... now.

If WDJT does become Milwaukee's first HD newscast. I think the end of the world is near. I also think they will do a half-ass job of it.

However, other programs have done special presentations in HD long before the newscasts so really, this does not mean much and I really don't think WDJT's newscasts will be in HD anytime soon.

It's becoming easier and more cost-effective to pre-produce shows in high definition these days. Producing them live, however, is a whole different animal, as evidenced by the massive investments local stations and networks are making to convert newscasts and other live productions to HD.

As caliwxdude said above, doing special taped programming like this in HD is different from doing news in HD. All that a station would need to produce and air such a program is 1 or 2 HD camcorders [which, it seems, are getting cheaper by the day], HD-capable editing software [also not that expensive], an HD tape recorder or video server to record the product to, and the proper master control infrastructure. WDJT could've probably been able to handle it. Live local news in HD, maybe not. The studio cams would be expensive, as would be the switcher, CG, and all the other necessary gear.

Moral of story: For WDJT, local newscasts in HD will probably still be miles away.

Archived