2008-09 DMA Rankings

bostonmediaguy

Nielsen Media has released the market rankings for the upcoming season.

Austin enters top 50, going from 51 to 49

Indianapolis enters top 25, moving from 26 to 25

Las Vegas moves from 43 to 42

Palm Springs moves up 2 from 144 to 142.

Full listing available online: (Warning: PDF) http://www.nielsen.com/pdf/2008_09_DMA_Ranks.pdf

San Jose moved to 6th!!!?? OUCH!!

The San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland DMA did not change for the 2008-2009 year. They dropped from 5th to 6th last year (07-08). I believe that in one of the articles (Broadcasting and Cable or TvNewsday) they mentioned that the top 20 markets did not see any changes.

Let's see:

Nashville moved up 1 spot from 30 to 29

Memphis moved down 1 spot from 47 to 48 (I'm betting they'll be out of the top 50 next year)

Mobile/Pensacola moved up 1 spot from 61 to 60 (Why do I care? I have family down there)

Remember last year, Lima made that big jump from 196 to 185? They drop one spot to 186.

The biggest jump is Lubbock. They move from 148 to 143.

The biggest drop is Sioux City. They drop from 143 to 149.

Also FOX doesn't have to worry about their top 50 affiliates not having a newscast since Buffalo moves down to 51.

And in Missouri, St. Louis stays at 21, and KC remains at 31. Not likely to see much change in the near future. St. Louis might move to 21 if regional growth continues. KC (except for city population) has remained relatively static.

Cleveland was the largest DMA to LOSE households from last year...yet it's still at #17, while Pittsburgh was the largest DMA to drop in market size (it also lost households as well.)

Are there are any major re-alignments of DMA counties? The Mobile Pensacola market gained George County, MS from Biloxi-Gulfport...bringing Mobile-Pensacola up a notch to 60 from 61 and dropping Biloxi-Gulfport to 163 from 160.

Archived