Alaska coverage of John McCain choosing Sarah Palin as VP candidate

johnnya2k6

Newsrooms all over Alaska were mega-busy all day Friday over news of our governor Sarah Palin being John McCain's running mate.

Here in Fairbanks, there was minimal coverage on KTVF and KXD as usual; both had local reaction to the announcement. But it's a completely different story down in Anchorage; if you are KTUU, you could tell this was the story of the year when they worked round the clock -- even up till airtime -- to get each and every angle covered as possible.

If I was Steve MacDonald (Channel 2's News Director), I would've pre-empted "America's Toughest Jobs" at 7:00 for a one-hour primetime special about Palin hosted by MacDonald and Maria Downey; they also would've fed it to C-SPAN for national broadcast. I'm pretty sure it would've beaten all the network shows in the ratings.

I want to know how the KTVA angle was covered; who cares about KIMO.

Ummmm KTVA actually had more coverage than KTUU, we extended our morning show and preempted whatever we have at noon for a special noon show that we put together in about 2 hours. Then it was all we covered at 5, 6 and 10. I was live from her hometown with reaction. The CBS Evening News credited us on their show, our web hosting company stole some bandwidth from their other sites and gave it to us because we were getting so many hits (20k an hour). You can check out our coverage at http://www.ktva.com/video

[/self promotion]

Yeah, KTVA had more extended coverage than KTUU alright; both even dipped into their vaults to show video of Palin doing sports at both stations in the '80s. Palin was also a reporter at KIMO for a brief period in 1996, but they were too lazy enough to go through their archives.

By the way, Jason Moore (KTUU) and Andrea Gusty (KTVA) were going to be deployed to Minneapolis for the Republican Convention this week, but that's in question right now due to Hurricane Gustav.

By the way, Jason Moore (KTUU) and Reagan Scott (KTVA) were going to be deployed to Minneapolis for the Republican Convention this week, but that's in question right now due to Hurricane Gustav.

Well actually Andrea Gusty IS down there for us, and the convention will go on, just scaled back.

Well, it's not sweeps yet, but I'm betting KTUU is going to get MONSTER ratings over this whole Palin saga...not to mention their old footage of Sarah doing sports. They gained national attention with their Exxon Valdez oil spill coverage and they're doing it again almost 20 years later!

No wonder John Tracy quit; he was around during Sarah Palin's brief stint.

Archived