Five Months In, Katie's Downward Spiral Continues

TheMightyGringoChannel

It's been five months since Katie Couric took over the helm at the CBS Evening News. Unfortunately, critical acclaim has not been able to save Couric from a ratings tailspin. Lets have a look at the recent numbers, which Drudge posted on his site. Couric has lost 2 to 1 versus ABC's World News Tonight, in the top 3 metered nielsen markets (NYC, L.A., and Chicago). Even CNN's Larry King has said that "no amount of tinkering with the format of the CBS Evening News is likely to overcome an inherent problem the news program faces -- the gender of its anchor, Katie Couric." So what do you think?, Are CBS' ratings issues a result of the fact that an audience is still unwilling to accept a female anchor? Or is it something else?

Honestly, I think its only a matter of time before the suits at Blackrock decide to cut their losses, and end "the Couric Experiment". But, thats just my opinion. I dont think CBS' problems have anything to do with Couric's gender, as much as it does the issue of their credibility.

i have no problem with a female anchoring the evening news, i liked elizabeth vargas, i like when diane sawyer, or campbell brown or kate snow fills in. i just dont think katie is cut out for the evening audience, shes too perky. ill watch her for a little bit, but then i get sick of it, and flip back to ABC or NBC

Agreed. Katie has no gravitas. "Hi Everyone," in her sing-songy morning show voice, is about as insipid and vacuous a sign-on as any I could imagine.

The problem with Katie isn't her gender, its her experience. She was plucked from WTVJ at the right time: when Today was at its lowest point - Jane Pauley was gone (the handling of which alienated a lot of longtime viewers), Deborah Noville wasn't meshing with either Bryant Gumbel or the viewers and Good Morning America was standing tall - and needed someone fresh to come in and draw the viewers back. If she hadn't jumped to the network, odds are she would still be doing the local news in Miami.

She has no major stories to her credit, nothing that makes her standout other than she was a popular anchor of a popular morning show for fifteen years. When breaking news happened during the Today show, Bryant primarily handled it in the early years and after he left, she or Matt would cover it until they could get Tom Brokaw into the studio to take over. She is, to put it bluntly, "Tom Grunick" writ real: a pretty face and pleasing personality that keeps getting promoted.

What works in the morning definately does not work at night.

Guest Junk Junk

Katie's not going anywhere.

In a couple of years when she's number one or a strong number 2 in the ratings, posts like these will be long gone. It's only been 5 months for crissakes! She will find her way and audiences will eventually find her and get tired of Brian Williams and Charlie Gibson.

Just my $0.02

I just don't find Katie compelling to watch. Charles Gibson is my choice. When I watch him, I feel like he's really doing something he values, and isn't just in it for the money or the fame. I guess I feel more sincerity coming out of Charles.

I'm not at all surprised she hasn't caught on. And I don't think it has anythign to with gender -- it has to do with Katie Couric. Her schtick was tired on Today and doesn't play well in the evening.

As an aside, I love the Today Show now. Meredith Viera kicks butt. If only they'd lose Ann Curry....

Archived