WUSA/WCBS same music?

jbjimbo

(note, I worked on this a bit longer than Alain)

I was in Washington DC this weekend and noticed that WUSA uses the same (or very close) to the same musical track as WCBS. But I dont think WUSA is a CBS station. How can they be useing the same music?

Umm, WUSA is a CBS station, but it's not an O&O (which is what you may have been thinking). Also, it's because of a neat system we call Music Packages. Music company (Gari Communications in this case) makes the theme, then they sell it to stations for them to use!

Both WCBS (owned by CBS) and WUSA (owned by Gannett) use The Enforcer as their package, the packages have many different variations or "cuts" as we call them, just to keep every station from using the exact same cut. Although, I think depending on the package, the chance of one station using the exact same cut as another station changes alot.

CBS O&O's (and CBS stations in general), really love The Enforcer for some odd reason, nice and hard hitting! KRIV (Fox 26 Houston) used to use it too..before that stupid (to some) Fox O&O theme went into place. That's the ultimate example of reusing music...

Thanks, I aplogize for not realizing it was CBS. I was in the airport at the time and it didnt appear CBS during their local newscast.

Not all stations brand as CBS ___ for example, O&O's usually are required to of course, but WUSA for example brands as WUSA 9 and 9 News Now instead of CBS9

Are you joking?

How can you not know that WUSA is CBS. ::)

Looks like we have another idiot here.

He was in the airport, probably didn't have a good look at the logo. Heck, WUSA makes little reference to their CBS affiliation on their website and branding.

Is it necessary to be a jerk whenever someone doesn't know something?

CBS O&O's (and CBS stations in general), really love The Enforcer for some odd reason, nice and hard hitting! KRIV (Fox 26 Houston) used to use it too..before that stupid (to some) Fox O&O theme went into place. That's the ultimate example of reusing music...

The Enforcer was long gone before that on KRIV. They commissioned The Viper v2 (or used it first at least) for more than a year. I really didn't care for The Viper v2 and in my opinion the Fox O&O News Theme was a much needed improvement despite it being a standardized package among all the O&Os.

The Enforcer seemed to fit KRIV really well and the cuts they commissioned are my favorite in the package. The Enforcer just seemed to fit better than the two packages that followed it.

And I could see why he'd think WUSA wasn't a CBS affiliate. As mentioned before, they don't call themselves CBS-9 or anything of that nature. I'm sure there are CBS logo elements in their graphics, but those can sometimes be hard to spot. Especially with all the intricate details Giant Octopus puts into their graphics. But, yes, WUSA is indeed a CBS affiliate, not an O&O, just merely an affiliate.

The Enforcer was long gone before that on KRIV. They commissioned The Viper v2 (or used it first at least) for more than a year. I really didn't care for The Viper v2 and in my opinion the Fox O&O News Theme was a much needed improvement despite it being a standardized package among all the O&Os.

The Enforcer seemed to fit KRIV really well and the cuts they commissioned are my favorite in the package. The Enforcer just seemed to fit better than the two packages that followed it.

And I could see why he'd think WUSA wasn't a CBS affiliate. As mentioned before, they don't call themselves CBS-9 or anything of that nature. I'm sure there are CBS logo elements in their graphics, but those can sometimes be hard to spot. Especially with all the intricate details Giant Octopus puts into their graphics. But, yes, WUSA is indeed a CBS affiliate, not an O&O, just merely an affiliate.

True enough. The only way one could tell WUSA is an affiliate is the little tiny eye-mark between the W and the U in the calls, which is barely noticeable in the news open graphics. It's standard bug/logo is just the 9 in a red circle, and the station refers to itself as "WUSA 9" or "9 News Now" (or just "9 News" whenever the anchors remember how stupid "9 News Now" actually sounds). Interestingly enough, this is the most prominence the CBS eye has gotten from the station, since the 70s.

Archived