Houstons Overcoverage of FREEZING TEMPERATURES

bhratbrat

This came in from the Houston Chronicle.

Jan. 17, 2007, 12:27AM

THIS JUST IN...

H-town freezes over!

It's almost like they were hoping for the worst as local news stations once again went over the top in their coverage of the 'arctic blast'

By JEANNIE KEVER

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

TOOLS

Email

Get section feed

Print

Subscribe NOW

The suspense ended Tuesday, not with the roar of a sheet of ice taking out the city's power lines but with a gigantic sigh of relief.

Or was that a sigh of embarrassment from the city's weather forecasters?

Nah, TV meteorologists don't get embarrassed. They just start thinking about the next impending disaster. We're happy the Arctic Blast — make that Ice Storm Alert or Ice Alert — wasn't as bad as it could have been, but our nerves are frayed from hours of watching the news since the weekend.

TMI

• Channel 11 did a meticulous job of covering the weather, as did its competitors. But enough was enough. Should temperatures that barely grazed the freezing mark consume an entire newscast? Or days of nonstop coverage? We think not.

Surreal on-the-street

• Ryan Korsgard, stationed in Huntsville for the duration by Channel 2, kept watch over a bucket of water throughout Monday's newscasts. He was able to report to anchors Owen Conflenti and Lauren Freeman Tuesday morning that chunks of ice had formed in the bucket, proof that it was indeed cold out there.

Houston Marathon, part 2

• While showing viewers the icicles she discovered around town Tuesday morning, Channel 13 reporter Laura Whitley boasted she traveled 190 miles. Not on foot, we bet.

Name game

• Fox 26 and Channel 13 both dubbed their blanket would-be storm coverage the Arctic Blast. Channel 2 went with Ice Storm Alert, while Channel 11 used the headline Ice Alert.

Put that on your résumé

• Channel 2's Mary Benton draped herself in a scarf, hat, gloves and coat at Burlington Coat Factory on Monday afternoon for a story on people making a last-minute dash for a winter coat.

Les Miserables

• Of the five Channel 11 reporters scattered around the greater Houston viewing area, Jeremy Desel looked the most miserable Monday night. Small wonder. He was stationed behind the sand trucks at U.S. 290 and the Sam Houston Tollway for umpteen hours.

Helpful advice

• Fox 26's Ned Hibberd used various sources including a AAA spokesman to explain to viewers what to do if they hit an icy patch while driving. The station also made a point of encouraging viewers to donate blood.

Scary statement

• Channel 2 meteorologist Frank Billingsley warned Monday afternoon that Tuesday morning's commute "may not be a commute at all. It may be too dangerous to leave the house." But he also noted that there was a 30 percent chance — upgraded to 100 percent with hindsight — that threatening conditions could stay out of town, leaving us with dry roads on Tuesday.

Useful info

• Billingsley also explained that rain won't freeze when the wind chill drops temperatures below freezing. That only affects your skin, he told TV audiences. For rain to turn to ice, the temperature actually has to drop to 32 degrees or lower.

Public service

• It may not have been raining or sleeting, but it was darned cold. Channel 13 frequently reminded viewers of space-heater safety.

Warm and toasty

• Best assignment on Monday went to Doug Miller, who did his weather story indoors. He was posted at Houston TranStar. Sort of like Mission Control, he said.

Boss, do I have to?

• Worst assignment went to Channel 11's Carolyn Campbell. When HISD schools didn't close, she was sent to Lanier Middle School to report on the, ahem, early-morning traffic jam.

Houston Chronicle reporters Claudia Feldman, Mary Vuong and Kristin Finan contributed to this story.

Considering the stations took an insanely passive approach when there was 6"-12" of snow in spots a few years back... I'm kinda surprised.

This sort of thing does tend to happen on such a scale every few years, although I should upload some of my video from KPRC, KTRK & KHOU from 1989's memorable ice storm.... just to put things in perspective, y'know. :)

I do remember that 1989 icestorm, it was right around christmas or just after christmas if i'm not mistaken. even then, i remember that KHOU kept busting in on programming like every 15 minutes or so with a weather bulletin (complete with that great KHOU 1989 music).

Archived