KPHO debuts new set, logo, graphics - HD on the way?

semistatic

WTF? Is that "5" in Arial? Thumbs way down on the logo.

I have to disagree on the thumbs down. looks very nice if you ask my opinion. Actually looks more like KSDK's logo used for the olympics except the 5 would be red like it has been since the early 80's and instead of the CBS eye, it would be the NBC peacock with the IOC rings underneath.

actually I'd like this logo should CBS ever come to KSDK, although that would never happen IMO.

It's clearly based on the KYW package - there's a lot of the same elements - but it looks like it's an update directly from Hothaus rather than a direct rip. It DOES look quite nice, and it's a shame they had to use the cheap Photoshop version for the website header - because the on-air version looks much better.

Compare this with KOVR's version, which contains cheap, in-house modifications to the look that kind of kill it.

And at the very least, it's a good thing that they dropped that confusing "NEWS 5" logo. What was the deal with that anyway - were they calling themselves "News 5" for a bit before changing the name back to "CBS 5 News"?

And at the very least, it's a good thing that they dropped that confusing "NEWS 5" logo. What was the deal with that anyway - were they calling themselves "News 5" for a bit before changing the name back to "CBS 5 News"?

Yes, they went by "News 5" for a couple years around 2002. Took them long enough to ditch that logo, not that the replacement looks any better to me.

Here's what I heard on another forum about the HD situation:

From what I've heard (sorry, can't disclose my sources), this is their HD set and graphics. Unfortunately, the station is having a lot of troubles broadcasting their news in HD, so HD news won't come for now, and probably won't for the rest of the year, at worst.

It's clearly based on the KYW package - there's a lot of the same elements - but it looks like it's an update directly from Hothaus rather than a direct rip.

I'd say you're right about it being directly from Hothaus. But from watching their newscast, it looks like their graphics are based more on the WZVN package than KYW.

From what I can tell' date=' KPHO's set looks like WGCL's. It looks like the cookie cutter BDI sets are all the rage now. *sigh*[/quote']

What's up with all the grey on these new BDI sets? First WGCL, now KPHO. It reminds me of the giant grey walls that flank the ugly, old set that we have at my school. Grey = bad color for set design, especially in HD.

WGCL and KPNX are both merideth stations' date=' so i would say it's a merideth station group set.[/quote']

Well, if its a group set, then they really messed it up. The WGCL and KPHO sets are nothing more than a cheap version of the KLAS-TV set. They could have made it look a little less like a cave and made it more brighter not darker. I think that when done right, the set looks amazing(WTVD and KLAS come to mind). Let's see what the other Meredith stations start to roll out.

Well' date=' if its a group set, then they really messed it up. The WGCL and KPHO sets are nothing more than a cheap version of the KLAS-TV set. They could have made it look a little less like a cave and made it more brighter not darker. I think that when done right, the set looks amazing(WTVD and KLAS come to mind). Let's see what the other Meredith stations start to roll out.[/quote']WSMV for one, being the sole NBC affiliate owned by Meredith, didn't go the same route as they did most, if not all, of their news set and graphics in-house.

Archived