"Significantly Viewed" and Dish's 2006 Court Ruling

WickedYoungMan

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure which forum to put it in.

Anyway, I wanted to ask about the F.C.C.'s 2004 "Significantly Viewed List" and the late 2006 court decision against Dish which said they could no longer carry "distant networks."

I live in a county in which the Significantly Viewed list said I could receive channels from another market where I live (We are basically right in the middle of these two market areas.) By default, I will get Ft. Wayne, Indiana stations, but can get stations out of Indianapolis (where I want them.) A few months ago, someone at Dish said they could send out the waivers on my behalf (I didn't know about this court ruling at the time) and could get me connected with Indianapolis. Today I tried to do it and they said they couldn't do this based on the 2006 court ruling which apparently prevent Dish from sending waivers of some kind to "distant networks."

I just wanted to ask some of our experts, does the 2006 ruling indeed affect any Dish customer eligible to get other stations from the Significantly Viewed list, or is the person at Dish misunderstanding what I'm asking?

Thanks!

The 2006 federal court ruling barred DISH from selling distant signals to any of its customers. If you are a DISH customer, you must buy the local channels package (which appears to be Ft. Wayne in your case), put up an antenna to receive signals over-the-air, or subscribe to another service (Cable, DirecTV).

The significantly viewed provisions were included in the last rewrite of SHVERA. Satellite providers were put on equal footing with the cable companies and given the opportunity to carry stations that are "significantly viewed" in a particular county. However, providing significantly viewed stations to customers is optional. Thus far, DISH has not elected to include significantly viewed stations within local packages.

At this point you have two options if you want both Ft. Wayne and Indianapolis network affiliates: 1) get cable; or 2) put up a rooftop antenna.

I know Directv does offer Significantly Viewed Channels in Most of Connecticut, A few counties near Raleigh, North Carolina and Cleburn County, GA near Atlanta. But unfortunately, Directv hasn't hit the important Significantly Viewed areas I know of like Polk and Sumter County, Florida or Mercer, Ocean, and Monmouth County, New Jersey.

Here is the link. Look it up by DMA.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/svLocalChannels.jsp?assetId=1200076

I know Directv does offer Significantly Viewed Channels in Most of Connecticut, A few counties near Raleigh, North Carolina and Cleburn County, GA near Atlanta. But unfortunately, Directv hasn't hit the important Significantly Viewed areas I know of like Polk and Sumter County, Florida or Mercer, Ocean, and Monmouth County, New Jersey.

Here is the link. Look it up by DMA.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/svLocalChannels.jsp?assetId=1200076

It's actually Cleburne County, AL

Archived