Working on Election Night

ProButtonPusher

I'm the lucky reporter that gets to stay late and put everything together for the morning show, but I will probably end up live that night anyways.

Alaska does it different than anywhere else I've seen, each major city (Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau) has an "Election Central" and it is THE place to be seen on election night. It is a party. All of the media outlets in the state have a booth, the TV stations all anchor their coverage from there and you get candidates and their posse parading in yelling and carrying on, they come to each station's stage for live interviews. It's really fun.

Not to mention there is an open bar...

No (I work mornings), but as a meteorologist, I always enjoyed elections -- it's like severe weather, but for news. During severe weather, I'm running my butt off, and news is going [largely] about their business; but during elections, I get to sit on my duff and watch everybody *else* go crazy for a change. ;)

Is your WX dept one of those that considers a light shower "severe weather"? I never understood getting all worked up and breaking into shows over a phenomenon that not only has gone on for millennia, we also eagerly want it to happen. Sometimes I want to go over and yell at you guys "Stop it! It's just rain! See this? It's water! We drink this stuff! Plants need it! It helps the world from turning into a dust bowl! STOP!!!"

Is your WX dept one of those that considers a light shower "severe weather"? I never understood getting all worked up and breaking into shows over a phenomenon that not only has gone on for millennia, we also eagerly want it to happen. Sometimes I want to go over and yell at you guys "Stop it! It's just rain! See this? It's water! We drink this stuff! Plants need it! It helps the world from turning into a dust bowl! STOP!!!"

Ha! No, but we do get our share of legitimate severe weather though....

Our station used to be an "all hands on deck for big events" place, like elections and hurricanes. Ever since the staff reduction and pension cock-blocking for those about to retire started, they don't mind anymore if anyone who wants to not come in doesn't, as it reduces overtime.

On one of my local stations, WJAC in Johnstown, during the cut-in's they had a taped report of their anchor walking around the newsroom talking to reporters about some of the local races, and then he would say "You can see the results at the bottom of your screen and we will have the latest info at 11". I thought that was pretty cheap and lazy.

Other than that, all of the coverage on my local stations was good.

Our station used to be an "all hands on deck for big events" place, like elections and hurricanes. Ever since the staff reduction and pension cock-blocking for those about to retire started, they don't mind anymore if anyone who wants to not come in doesn't, as it reduces overtime.

Yeah, my station has cut a few positions this year, and we've been warned the budget is looking very tight for next year. This kind of stuff is happening everywhere right now.

It was nuts, here are pics from that night: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2020022&l=20428&id=64202658

"Thank god it's over." :)

That pretty much sums it up. It must be nice not to have to worry about powering up and down live trucks and tuning sat lives at all of the different campaign parties around town, though. A one stop candidate shop. I like it.

Archived