Los Angeles TV Stations Fire Coverage

CalItalian2

A few observations since I watched from the first hour last night:

Why did KNBC dump out of their commercial free coverage to go to the Tonight Show at 11:35 PM when both KABC and KCBS continued their commercial free coverage (as well as KCOP but that's still a regularly scheduled newscast until midnight)? That had to be the most stupid decision all night especially considering how they handled their recent Metrolink coverage.

KABC did "briefly" dump out of their coverage just after 12:15 or so to go to Jimmy Kimmel in progress but came back about 15 minutes later and stayed on live non-stop all night long.

KNBC came back on with Paul Moyer and Colleen Williams nearing the end of the Tonight Show and that's when KABC came back with Mark Brown and Michelle Tuzee.

KTTV did not have any coverage after their 10 PM newscast. Now, the fire only started at 10:30 PM but they did make some dumb decisions later on. At 1 AM, they were REPLAYING their 10 PM newscast as their sister station, KCOP was continuing to air live fire coverage with Rick Garcia and Lauren Sanchez. A few minutes into the replay, KTTV began airing a simulcast of KCOP's coverage (with KCOP's My 13 News graphics and mic flags). At 2 AM, in Rick Garcia's mid-sentance, the computers at both KTTV and KCOP switched to infomercials. KTTV never came back during the 2 AM hour but less than a minute later KCOP came back with live coverage. MESSY.

www.cbs2.com, www.abc7.com and www.myfoxla.com all ran streaming coverage early on in the fire coverage. www.myfoxla.com ran KCOP's coverage, My 13 News.

I checked out www.nbclosangeles.com overnight and did not see anything on their webpage for live streaming coverage but I can't even find a link to News Raw anymore.

KTLA, of course, was a no-show after their 10 PM news. No news. No coverage. Nothing late night or overnight. Quite pathetic as they were once the Los Angeles station of record for live news events with the original Telecopter and other live news coverage vehicles. KCAL also had no coverage last night but it is a duploy with KCBS.

Other observations: I "heard" Kent Shocknek take over from Paul Magers and Laura Diaz at about 2:40 AM (it was comforting to hear the "voice" of all L.A. "disasters" in the middle of the night). Also good to see in the middle of the night was Chuck Henry out in the field for KNBC (and Beverly White, too). Tony Valdez on KCOP was trying to be too dramatic staying in an area where burning embers were flying at the crew. Nearing 3 AM, Dallas Raines on KABC was losing his voice. KCBS and KCOP seemed to have the first reporters in Sylmar on the ground reporting with live video. KABC the last which was surprising (of course, they all had helicopter shots from the get-go). All stations did well with their coverage but I would say KCBS was the best.

Some high paid talent really had to work last night...for once.

I agree w/ you Cal...I couldn't believe NBC 4 went to the Tonight Show...I thought KCBS had the best coverage, until I saw KCOP/13 was able to televise a news conference @ 2am LIVE, KCBS couldn't, but 5 minutes before, they had some official on the phone and Paul asked about the news conference, the official said it was going to happen, yet they couldn't bring it to the viewers...And right now, how come FOX 11 had to drop their coverage for TMZ? WTF is w/ that? Though they are continuing their coverage on their sister station MY 13/KCOP...but this morning, I was totally surprised that most of the stations, including KTLA were live and continue to be live...NBC 4's earlier coverage was totally pissing me off...the dude flying their chopper didn't know shit and whoever the male anchor was (before Furnell came on) obviously wasn't paying attention...caller would say XYZ and the anchor would ask a question and the answer would be whatever the caller said, it was annoying, but at the time, they were the only ones covering the Corona/OC fire...good coverage overall I suppose.

6 PM Saturday night.

Why is KCBS still running KCAL 9 graphics (with Paul Magers and Laura Diaz doing the Saturday night cast. The only weeknight anchor team on this evening)? I know they are simulcasting right now but which station is more important and Paul Magers nor Laura Diaz are NOT normally on KCAL. The crawl on KCAL says KCAL but on KCBS it says CBS 2. Why can't all of the graphics?

KTTV is running TMZ while KCOP has My 13 News. Isn't the Fox station more important for news?

KNBC has a regularly scheduled newscast at this time.

KTLA is back to regular programming while plenty of houses and businesses are burning. KABC is sporatically running a crawl during the football game.

KTTV is running TMZ while KCOP has My 13 News. Isn't the Fox station more important for news?

Again, I thought the same, but, after thinking about it, all this coverage is commericial free and TMZ brings in the bucks (so I'm told), so now I can understand why KTTV/FOX 11 moved their coverage to the lower rated KCOP/MY 13

7:30 PM Saturday Night:

KTTV has The Simpsons reruns while KCOP runs fire coverge. Makes no sense.

KCBS/KCAL still simulcasting.

KNBC still running coverage. Colleen Williams is in with Furnell but Paul Moyer is nowhere to be heard.

KTLA has Two and a Half Men reruns.

KABC still in football.

Quote from Jeff Michaels at 7:50 PM on My 13: "This is the Fox 11 News even though we are are on Channel 13".

7:53 PM on KCAL/KCBS: CBS 2 still running KCAL 9 graphics while Laura Diaz keeps calling it "CBS 2 News". At least call it BOTH CBS 2 and KCAL 9 News.

Again, I thought the same, but, after thinking about it, all this coverage is commericial free and TMZ brings in the bucks (so I'm told), so now I can understand why KTTV/FOX 11 moved their coverage to the lower rated KCOP/MY 13
This fire is going to end up being bigger than the infamous 1960's Bel Air fire. I'd run it on Fox 11 to bring some credibilty to Fox 11 which still is the only Fox O&O that doesn't have an early evening newscast.

KCOP signed off their coverage at 8 PM. Fox 11 News at 10 then over to My 13 at 11 are their next casts per Jeff Michaels.

KCBS (simulcast with KCAL but Paul Magers and Laura Diaz are the anchors) and KNBC still on the air dropping network programming at 8 PM. KTLA is running a Raiders football show. KABC still in college football.

I'm not sure who is looking worse, KTTV or KTLA. Currently, I think we can understand why KTLA isn't running coverage but shame on KTTV and Fox. I agree KCOP's coverage has been good but it isn't making Fox 11 look good.

I am not impressed with KNBC's coverage. The helicopter reporters are very poor. VERY is the key word. Why Furnell and Colleen and no Paul? KNBC is just plain boring sometimes (with still photos and John Garamendi, for two).

Again, I say KCBS/KCAL is the best even though I don't understand some of the things I've listed that they are doing.

FINALLY after 8 PM, the graphics are now SPECIFIC for CBS 2 and KCAL 9 within the simulcast. It took them 12 hours to finally do it.

This fire is going to end up being bigger than the infamous 1960's Bel Air fire. I'd run it on Fox 11 to bring some credibilty to Fox 11 which still is the only Fox O&O that doesn't have an early evening newscast.

KCOP signed off their coverage at 8 PM. Fox 11 News at 10 then over to My 13 at 11 are their next casts per Jeff Michaels.

KCBS (simulcast with KCAL but Paul Magers and Laura Diaz are the anchors) and KNBC still on the air dropping network programming at 8 PM. KTLA is running a Raiders football show. KABC still in college football.

I'm not sure who is looking worse, KTTV or KTLA. Currently, I think we can understand why KTLA isn't running coverage but shame on KTTV and Fox. I agree KCOP's coverage has been good but it isn't making Fox 11 look good.

I am not impressed with KNBC's coverage. The helicopter reporters are very poor. VERY is the key word. Why Furnell and Colleen and no Paul? KNBC is just plain boring sometimes (with still photos and John Garamendi, for two).

Again, I say KCBS/KCAL is the best even though I don't understand some of the things I've listed that they are doing.

FINALLY after 8 PM, the graphics are now SPECIFIC for CBS 2 and KCAL 9 within the simulcast. It took them 12 hours to finally do it.

I'm pretty sure that no one really cares about KCBS/KCAL graphics being shown on the wrong channel. People are losing their homes and their lives and at this point the station bugs are of no importance. On another note, I am surprised that KTTV has not had better coverage. They should have done better to distinguish themselves from KTLA. Although I must say that before the Clippers game, Michaela Pereira was on anchoring fire coverage and doing a good job. Hopefully these fires will be controlled sooner rather than later.

I'm pretty sure that no one really cares about KCBS/KCAL graphics being shown on the wrong channel. People are losing their homes and their lives and at this point the station bugs are of no importance. On another note' date=' I am surprised that KTTV has not had better coverage. They should have done better to distinguish themselves from KTLA. Although I must say that before the Clippers game, Michaela Pereira was on anchoring fire coverage and doing a good job. Hopefully these fires will be controlled sooner rather than later.[/quote']That's PROFESSIONALISM. The graphics should have been on the correct stations, period. This is Los Angeles not a small market. No excuses. Still doesn't come close to the blunders that KNBC and KTTV made. I don't expect anything better from KTLA currently.

What is it with the Channel 4 News helicopter shots? They keep zooming in and out. I can't see close-ups like ABC 7 or CBS 2/KCAL 9 have. Larry Welk on CBS 2/KCAL 9 is the best chopper reporter.

KTLA then KNBC started running commercials again tonight during their coverage. Fox 11 News and My 13 News have had more of a retrospective of todays events rather than live fire coverage tonight. CBS 2/KCAL9 and then ABC 7 really shine above all others tonight. I'm really impressed with CBS2/KCAL 9 and I rarely watch CBS 2 (I do watch KCAL 9). Channel 4 News really needs help.

I was watching the 11PM news on KCOP and they mentioned that KTTV will continue the fire coverage starting tomorrow morning at 7AM.

That's PROFESSIONALISM. The graphics should have been on the correct stations, period. This is Los Angeles not a small market. No excuses. Still doesn't come close to the blunders that KNBC and KTTV made. I don't expect anything better from KTLA currently.

Maybe it's just me, but in emergency situations such as this I tend to focus more on content and making sure the stations are getting pertinent information out in a timely manner rather than on graphics. Yeah, they could be more professional by having the right graphics and bug on the right station-- but most people don't care (I certainly don't care) so long as we can get the necessary information. Plus, it's a simulcast.... if anything, a mention by the anchors that the coverage is being broadcasted on both stations would be good enough.

CBS 2 and KCAL 9 are still simulcasting (8 AM Sunday) and were the only stations on live all night long. Still commercial free. 33 hours and counting of live continious coverage.

The only thing still bugging me about CBS 2 is it should say "Chopper 2" not "Sky 9" when they're using the helicopter shots.

ABC 7 has blown off "This Week" for live coverage.

At 8 AM Sunday, they are the only two (three) providing any coverage.

Both stations are still streaming their coverage live on their websites.

KNBC did a pretty good job today. I have to give props to Ted Chen, who solo anchored several hours worth of fire coverage. I tuned in around 10am until coverage ended at 3:30pm and the coverage was good. I also have to give props to KCBS/KCAL whom also did a great job with fire coverage as well. All around, the L.A. stations did what they were supposed to do, and that is to serve the public.

THANK YOU!!! I could care less weather sister stations are showing the right bug when people's lives are being devastated and destroyed! Right now, people care about CONTENT rather than a little icon in the corner of the screen.

Also, enough with the Ch. 4 and Ch. 11 Slamming CalItalian! Do you ever focus on any positives of some stations?

Tough if you didn't like my comments (I guess you didn't see my comments about Chuck Henry or Beverly White). I call them as I see them and I've called it well based on FACTS. I've been watching Channel 4 since I was a child in the late 1960's when it was Marlow at 5, Snyder at 6, Brokaw at 11. They did a POOR job especially with their horrible chopper shots and reporters in the choppers who didn't know cr*p about where they were. The choice of dumping out of the coverage on Friday night and going into Jay Leno was another idiotic decision following another idiotic decision to not air coverage after 6:30 PM the night of the MetroLink crash. Poor management decisions just continue at KNBC. They deserve to be the #3 news station in the market or lower. Their product has gone down hill more than any other except KTLA.

As for Fox 11, the coverage should have been on Fox 11 not My 13 and Carlos Amezcua should have been in most of the time over the weekend. They have done a disservice to promoting their news product. The coverage was pretty good on My 13 (except the over-dramatic Tony Valdez) but it just won't help Fox 11. Bad managment decisions and the reporters/anchors need to figure out what station they are on (even tonight Jeff Michaels had to corrected on-air about the time that the Fox 11 Morning News starts).

As for ABC 7, they lived up to my expectations and did a great job with few complaints. They would be as perfect as CBS 2 and KCAL 9 if they hadn't dumped out of their coverage for Jimmy Kimmel to come back after Channel 4 did.

As for CBS 2, KCAL 9, they shined above the rest and exceeded my expectations. They deserve to be the local news leader. I'm just not a fan of Paul Magers, Laura Diaz or Jim Hill and prefer the anchor teams at ABC 7 or Channel 4.

As for KTLA, they lived up to my current expectations for them, poor.

As for the bug or graphics, get it right no matter when it is. This is Los Angeles not Bakersfield. It's people like you that bring professionalism DOWN.

As for myself, I can forgive stations for some graphic issues. It's the content I'm more concerned with. All I can say is that I live near the fires in Sylmar and there was misinformation given on all the stations. Misinformation that they repeated for hours.

I was very disappointed in the lack of geographical knowledge of what the stations were reporting. They often said wrong community names on where the fire was in the Sylmar area. LA is just too big of a market for the televisions to give good credible information in an emergency.

With that being said, I concur with most in that KCBS/KCAL had the best coverage. Personally, I look forward to Rick Chambers on KCAL and believe he is the best anchor during breaking news. I know he lives in the Santa Clarita Valley and is very good with describing exact locations and correct information regarding names of roads in the area as well as the San Fernando Valley.

Archived